New tank set up

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by matts20891, Jan 1, 2013.

  1. matts20891Valued MemberMember

    Hi guys

    For ages I have had a huge algae problem in my tank with this red slimy stuff that grows all over my LR and substrate and is very annoying.

    I'm considering buying a new tank and thought it would be a good idea to start fresh and algae free. I'm pretty sure the algae came in on some LR I purchased a while back and I haven't been able to get rid of it since then. So I plan on buying new LR and substrate so none of the bad start goes into the new tank.

    I was wondering, is it ok if I left the algae contaminated rock in the sun for a few days to completely kill everything off it and start again? Then I could use it in my new tank and hopefully the algae problem would be gone?

    Would love thoughts/opinions/other ideas

  2. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

    The red slime algae is cyanobacteria. It is very common in SW setups, especially as they mature.

    It can generally be contained by increasing the flow in the tank, or pointing powerheads so that there is no dead spots. Along with reduced lighting hours (it's photosynthetic)

    Too, keeping parameters in check (low phosphates and low nitrates) can help.

    A good reference from the Marine Aquarium Society of Australia:  

    A new setup won't necessarily help, and you could find you go through the same stage again.
  3. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

    To get rid of your algea boil your rocks in a pot on the stove along with any other decoration such as drift wood. Once it's boiled for about 2 hours take it out and scrub it with a ruff side of a sponge . Hopefully this should take the algae off of your i teams. As far as the tank goes you can buy maganents that work from the inside to the outside so all you have to do is drag the magnet from the outside and it scrubs the inside. Consider getting a couple mystery snails and some bottom feeders should take care of that! But yeah removing all you fish and doing a larger cleaning should help. Algae is extremely hard to get off so just boil everything and scrub hard!! Good luck
  4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

    Ummm, respectfully Bettalover99, this is a salt-water discussion :)

    Don't boil the rocks, you'll kill off the bacteria. You can beat it following my advice, and the info in the link I provided.
  5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

    You also shouldn't boil rocks because they can explode.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice