New Tank Set Up Questions ?

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, So Iv decided I'm Going to Set up a Betta Tank but as my parents won't let me add another tank I'm going to convert a clear stoage box in a nice sized Betta Tank, so iv just got a few questions:

1. What Temprature Should I Keep The Tank At?

2. What Gravel should I Use, Normal, Lava Rocks, Sand Ect?

3. What Type of Plants, Live, Silk or Plastic?

4. Should I put a few ornamnets In with Him?

Thanks Sam

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Recycling eh? That's creative.
1. I keep mine at 26' C
2. I've seen everything, I'm not sure if one is recommended over the other.
3. Live or Silk
4. I'm sure he'd love some!
Just remember to check all your ornaments and fake plants by running them down some pantyhose. If they snag, don't put them in the tank! Betta tails are fragile.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas are tropicals, so you'll need a heater. The substrate is entirely up to you. I have seen a lot about not using sand with bettas, but my betta tanks have sand and it's never been an issue as far as I can tell. I have recently put floating plants in my betta tanks and they love them. Ornaments are good, just make sure they aren't shark or the bettas tail can get torn.

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I Think its useing a clear stoage box is easier because its not as heavy and its no where near as expensive

I Think to Set up This Fully it will Cost Me £20 So Its Cheap too

Iv Never Kept a Betta Befor so I think its time to try

Iv got some bags of lava rocks from my first ever tank but its abit rough so I wasn't sure if that could hurt the betta?

And yep iv got a heater too, I found it in my draw and it works fine

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the rocks are rough I'd probably get something else... If you're on the cheap, try a gardening center! They have bags of stones that people use in gardens for much cheaper then the fish shops. They're the same thing too, haha.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Betta Fish Care Guide

Like the other have said bettas are tropical and do like tempature ranges between 76-80 degrees with 78 usually being the best temp. Also the substrate...I've used sand, gravel, and done a bare bottom...which I ended up not liking so its all up to you really. I like sand for certian bettas and gravels for others. I wouldnt use the lava rocks, they can be rough on a bettas fins which tear easily. I would go with the silk or live plants. You can go plastic so long as you can rub panty hose over them and it doesn't snag. Also add in a cave or two for him. They like to hide at night and randomly through the day.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
You also need to research about the nitrogen cycle. And you will need to cycle your tank. Which is explained in the above link. Also when you are cycling use a dechlornator like Prime to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until your next water change....unless you already know about it then forget that....lol

And also those topics are something I suggest to new betta people. They are loaded with info you will find very helpful.

Best of Luck!

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, or I can get some from my LFS and use the 10% off discount I get

Iv got a few other tanks so if I used a filter from my other tank would that help the cycle?

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you use filter media from an established tank, yes it should instantly cycle your tank. Keep in mind you don't want to remove *all* of the filter media from an established tank, or that tank will lose its cycle.

Avoid the lava rock, why risk hurting your new fish? As for plants, live or silk are best and make sure some of them have broad leaves for your betta to rest/sleep on.

Make sure you have a lid for the container because bettas are known to jump.

Enjoy your new friend, they are great fish. Such huge personalities!

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay Thanks Ill drill Holes in the Lid to stop the tank heating up 2 much and ill try and put a light with it.

I'm now woundering if I buy a Bigger Storage box then I could devide it and have 2 betta's. Not sure tho.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, you could! As long as each betta has 2.5gal minimum to swim in, then go for it and divide! It's fun in my divided tank at feeding times as I feed them from left to right, 1 pellet at a time. Once they have eaten their pellet, they get jealous when the next betta gets food and their little eyes watch the pellet until it's eaten! They can't wait for their next turn!

EDIT: Forgot to say that make sure to keep about 2 inches of space between the divider and water level to stop them jumping in to see each other, that is not ideal lol!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads