Question New Tank Set-up Issues

Saxman171

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, so I decided to move my fish from their 5 gallon tank to a larger 10 gallon tank. I'm attempting the "cocktail shrimp method" for cycling this tank before moving any fish to it. I set it all up yesterday, and I awoke this morning to find the water looking a bit cloudy and some strange, stringy white stuff floating around the surface of the water. I thoroughly rinsed the gravel and tank before setting this up, and I'm not sure what is happening. I did, however, put some aquatic plant bulbs in the tank when setting it up... could this be the cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you put the shrimp (raw, right?) into a mesh bag?

I wouldn't think that within one day you'd end up with stringy matter from it as it wouldn't be decomposing yet.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, it would be good. It will stop the decaying shrimp from getting all over your tank. What a mess that would be!

But not sure about stringy white stuff, although the cloudiness could be caused by the shrimp.

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, the shrimp is causing it. Same thing happened to me when I was cycling a 10 gallon, used the same method.

used2bN2horsesLOL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Saxman, since you've got an established tank already, can you take some filter media from those to seed the new tank rather than starting from scratch?
I did the shrimp method to cycle and if you haven't yet, you will be getting a big nasty smell soon. I also got the white stringy stuff too. I think it's some type of algae but not positive. It went away on it's own after some big water changes.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That method has its benefits but it's much better to cycle with a hardy fish or strait ammonia.
Wow I hate to disagree with someone's very first post but I want to say with all due respect...
Cycling with fish is not a prefered method. Just because a fish is hardy and isn't killed by ammonia, doesn't mean it's life isn't significantly shortened.

Granted doing daily water changes with Prime to keep the ammonia and nitrites detoxed will help keep the fish safe but it's still not ideal. If cycling with fish, it is prefered to use SafeStart in my opinion.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That method has its benefits but it's much better to cycle with a hardy fish or strait ammonia.
I would think that the shrimp and pure ammonia method have the same benefits. The bacteria doesnt care were the ammonia source comes from so it will work the same way. Cycling with fish works too, but its not healthy for the fish to put them through all those spikes. New fish keepers (like myself) often make that mistake because they dont know about the nitrogen cycle. Please don't recommend it though

Getting back on topic though, Saxman, like someone mentioned before if you add some of the media from one of your cycled tanks, it will help speed up the process. I used shrimp to cycle my newer tank as well as media from a cycled tank, and it only took a couple weeks. The cloudiness of your water should dissipate eventually once the cycle is almost complete.

Last edited:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think that the shrimp and pure ammonia method have the same benefits. The bacteria doesnt care were the ammonia source comes from so it will work the same way. Cycling with fish works too, but its not healthy for the fish to put them through all those spikes. New fish keepers (like myself) often make that mistake because they dont know about the nitrogen cycle. Please don't recommend it though

Getting back on topic though, Saxman, like someone mentioned before if you add some of the media from one of your cycled tanks, it will help speed up the process. I used shrimp to cycle my newer tank as well as media from a cycled tank, and it only took a couple weeks. The cloudiness of your water should dissipate eventually once the cycle is almost complete.
+1, great advice.
I just wanted to add that you may want to use just a piece of the shrimp instead of the whole thing, given that a 10 gallon tank really isn't very large.

Saxman171

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the advice everyone. Today the white stringy stuff seems to have disappeared.... seems odd but I'll take it lol. I did notice the smell that was mentioned though. I'll try adding some filter media from the other tank soon, but seeing as I'm setting this tank up at college and don't have access to the tanks at home it may be a week or two before I can get back there and get that stuff. At least I have family back home to take care of them until I can swap them into the new tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom