55 Gallon Tank New tank, sand vs bare bottom?

KingJade

Currently I have one comet goldfish and he’s in a tank with sand substrate. I find that he does spend a lot of time foraging around in it. I feel like it gives him something to do.
On the other hand, I see him spit out a LOT of sand ALL the time and I’m wondering whether or not that could turn into an issue somehow. I don’t know, maybe I’m overthinking it. But I don’t mind having sand substrate, I do think that bare bottom tanks look way cleaner though. Obviously bare bottom is easier to clean, too.
But he is used to the sand, so should I keep it when setting up my new tank?
Also I’ve heard that sand keeps beneficial bacteria in it which I don’t want to take that away from the tank... but then some people say that sand can form pockets of toxic gas (over a period of time) and if you swirl your substrate the wrong way, your fish will be dead.
Please help! Lol. Feel free to list pros and cons! Thanks

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore kingjade
I prefer to see something on the bottom you'll find most fish like to rummage through others filter through eating anything they can, bare bottom will only take away something which is natural and goldfish being carp family it comes natural to chomp into pond banks, as for gas pockets the fish constantly move the sand around so becomes a filter process on its own, my oscars move tons of fine coral sand but once a week I do a deep clean sifting the sand through the tube this again will not only keep it clean but stop any gas build up, which tbh I think is a little ott in these situations but more problematic with mud capped substrait.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I would keep it. For one thing, it does give him something to do. He probably goes through the sand enough to help keep those gas pockets down. Also, i know one thing some people do is kind of run their fingers on a part of sand before they vac to help loosen up debris and help with gas.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlockHead1981
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Nourhanateout22
Replies