New Tank Questions

obusweetT

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting an aquarium for Christmas. I've been doing a great deal of research for the past month or so trying to make sure I am able to properly care for the fish I select. I feel pretty confident about the equipment setup but I'm looking for some advice on compatible fish species. What I have in mind is a 30 gallon tank, HOB filter (Emperor 400?), 150W heater. I would also like to have a planted tank (anubias, java ferns and moss, sword plants.. nothing too extravagant). Here's what I was thinking about the actual fish. I've checked to make sure the local pet store has them all.

6 Harlequin Rasboras
3-4 Cory Cats
1 Dwarf Gourami (not sure what variation... Is there a difference?)
1 Australian Rainbowfish (I know most rainbows are schooling fish but I wasn't sure if one could do ok in a smaller tank)
3 Otocinclus Catfish

This comes up to about 28 inches of fish (by liveaquaria.com's stats) so I shouldn't have to worry about being overstocked. Also, I've toyed around with the idea of a red tail shark (instead of the rainbow) but I figured it would be too aggressive, esp w/ the corys sharing the bottom. If you have any other species that would be worth looking into I'm all ears.
Thanks!!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there and welcome. You should really check out this site

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The shark will be too aggressive for the otos or corys. Your correct rainbow fish need to be in schools to display their natural habits. otherwise your sounding good. Do alot of research before you buy, thats half the fun of teh hobby
Carol

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have a red tail in with an oto cat, and it doesn't even pay attention to it, they've even shared the same cave without a problem, the red tail is only interested in the occassional chase with my male platy, might try the tetras or barbs once in a blue moon, but mostly the platy lol

obusweetT

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what another solitary type fish would be to replace the rainbowfish?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First, the otos do not like to be kept singly. They should have at least one other friend. They are very peaceful little fish and kind of timid. They are not used to being kept with fish that are aggressive and at most I believe should be kept with a Betta as long as there is enough room that the Betta does not feel crowded.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, I agree with Rose. Most fish like to be in groups and if not, then at least in pairs (such as Angels or Rams, etc ... most Cichlids). Betta seems to be the only fish that likes to live alone. Rainbowfish are schooling fish and they are not that small when fully grown, so for a school of rainbows, you'd need a much larger tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom