Help new tank questions?

Langy

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi all. just an update on my tank along with some questions (as always).
well i started my tank about 2 weeks ago. its 10g and it took 4 days to cycle, amazing, given i was told that it might take upto a month?? lol. i have added 5 neons and a kuhli loach so far, they have been there for about 8 days, so its time to get more. now the questions start.

what are some other good small fish i could add. i would rather lots of little ones than a couple of biggies?

also a couple of my plants look like they are about to die, ones dropping leaves and stems and going brown, and the others just going brownish? any reasons why? what should i do to help stop this now or next time?

next question, when should i do water changes? i havn't done one yet, which i feel i should've. theres algae and stuff appearing on the glass aswell, what should i clean it with?

sorry theres so many questions, i just want to get it right the first time.
any help i will be happy. cheers guys!!

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Langy,

Wow what a fast cycle! How'd you do it??

Well the 5 neons will bring you to 7.5 inches, and the kuhli loach I've heard people count them as like 2 inches because they're skinny (someone correct me if I'm wrong...) so you're getting a little tight on space there. The rough calculation for fitting fish into an aquarium is about 1 inch of adult fish per gallon of water. (Granted, this doesn't mean you can fit a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gal tank. Hence, rough calculation!)

I'm not a plant guru but I'm sure someone will come along to answer that question.

I usually do my water changes once a week or so, depending on my water quality... With a new tank, I'd watch it to see if the numbers get too high (especially if there's ammonia). As for the algae, you can get an algae scraper if you don't like the look. Usually new tanks have algae called diatoms. They go away after a while.

Good luck with your new tank!

Langy

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi. yes i know it cycled fast alright. i just used fish food. and in 4 days it was good. i got the water tested on that 4th day and there was no ammonia. amazing!

yes i've heard about that 1 inch rule. but i think its fine to put more fish in, there is noway its overstocked at the moment. theres hardly a fish in the place. just wasn't to sure on what i should go for. like the other types of tetras or similar.

thanks on your tips for water changes. think i'll do one very soon. the water is fair manky. yer i'll wait till someone who knows plants helps me.
cheers

Dozey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Having zero ammonia is not an indication that your tank is cycled. In all likelihood it has not even begun to cycle and that is likely why you are seeing zero ammonia.

The indication of a cycled tank is having ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm and nitrates between 5-20ppm. With out knowing all three of these readings there is no way to know if your tank is cycled or not.

I have to agree with ShaynaB that your tank is very near its stock quota.

Mike19

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
even if you were to add fish, you should wait longer at least 2-3 weeks between each batch, so that your biological filter can keep up with the incremental waste. also to limit the possibilities of ammonia being present in your tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lets see that the tank continues to do well reading wise before adding more fish. It's really unusual that all those parameter be in line so quickly. Dozeys numbers for each of those water test reading is exactly correct, good to keep in mind when testing.

Kuhli Loaches prefer to be in groups so that would be the one I personally would add to the tank(about 2) when it's time. Adding Kuhlis will bring it up to and over stock by just a little bit (Shayna you were correct about the kuhlis but it's because their bioload is very small ). What little it would be over can be managed by an extra small water change each week.

Mike19 has it right with advising you add fish slowly so the biological filter can keep up with the increasing bioload.
We don't want to discourage you cycle wise but to help you have a healthy and happy tank you can enjoy for a long time. Your choice of fish species you have right now will provide lots of color and action, especially at feeding time.

Do you know what kind of plants you have? If not can we have pictures please?
We love pictures here so we would love to see your tank when you get it finished
Carol

Langy

Valued Member
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the help so far. yer well my tank has cycled, for sure, otherwise my fish would prob be dead. the pet store guy said the water is fine and that there a slight ammonia reading but it was that far up the scale it wasn't a prob so i waited a couple more days before i added any fish. you gotta remeber here its a 10g, so things will probably work quicker. cool well i might get another kuhli then. see how that goes and maybe see what else i might be able to fit in there with frequent water changes.

plant wise? im not 100% sure what they are, guess i can google them, i just didn't happen to remember their names. ok pictures. i'll try and get some soon
cheers, & thanks for the info.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have any ammonia readings at all the tank isn't cycled. Sorry. Please don't add any more fish yet.
No the fish wouldn't necessarily be dead but they could get sick from the continued exposure to ammonia and eventually Nitrites.
Frequently pet stores will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to sell you more fish. When those die they will be willing to sell you more.
10g tanks don't necessarily cycle faster just because it's smaller. The bacteria grows at the same speed as it does in a larger tank. In fact things can go wrong faster in a small tank than a larger tank because there's less water to dilute Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates.
Carol

Beeker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have any ammonia readings at all the tank isn't cycled. Sorry. Please don't add any more fish yet.
No the fish wouldn't necessarily be dead but they could get sick from the continued exposure to ammonia and eventually Nitrites.
Frequently pet stores will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to sell you more fish. When those die they will be willing to sell you more.
10g tanks don't necessarily cycle faster just because it's smaller. The bacteria grows at the same speed as it does in a larger tank. In fact things can go wrong faster in a small tank than a larger tank because there's less water to dilute Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates.
Carol
Butterfly is absolutely right.
Your best bet is to buy your own test kit so you can see for yourself what your numbers are instead of taking a salesman's word for it. Also, if your fish start showing signs of stress or illness, no matter what time it is, you can test your water and come to the forum with the numbers so we can start to help you right away.

Shayna is also right. Khulis like to be in groups. If you have the extra time to be able to keep up with an overstocked tank, you should get more of them.

TennThunder

Valued Member
Reaction score
Langy, please listen to the Butterfly and the other people here, they know what they are talking about as far as if your tank is cycled after 4 days or not.

travie

Valued Member
Reaction score
No fish tank on earth will cycle in 4 days by only using fish food as an ammonia source. To have a cycled tank without fish, you need to keep ammonia at 5 ppm till you see nitrite. Then cut ammonia to around 2 ppm till all nitrites are gone and then you see nitrates. Then the next day it is usually okay to add a small amount of fish, assumming all the ammonia was consumed over night which equals readings of zero ammonia and nitrite with nitrate readings.

Once the tank is safe to add more fish, I would bump up the number of Neons and Khuli Loaches, and just go with a two species tank.

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Langy,

My 10 gal took a month and a half to cycle completely. Just because it's smaller doesn't mean it's going to cycle faster. And my 10 gal is very fickle when it comes to readings. If I don't do a water changes, the ammonia and nitrate levels go up quickly. (Keeps me doing water changes!)

I think another couple of kuhlis would be good once it's cycled. I've heard they're cute when they attack food and twist all around each other.

I know it doesn't look like there are a ton of fish, but let me assure you, if you overcrowd the tank you're going to have more problems with it. Less fish means the inhabitants are more comfortable.

CoreyCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
langy your DEF setting yourself up for disaster. if you want more fish.. buy a BIGGER tank. 10g are like ticking time bombs when it comes to not doing water changes because the area is so small. the bigger tank the more room there is for error.

try to think of the fish..

Jonah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have to say you need to listen to these folks. I read these forums for weeks before trying to set up my tank. My main tank is a 60 Gal tank and it took a lot longer than 4 days to cycle it.

If after 4 days you had had your water tested and it read 0-0-0 that is not because your tank has cycled, it is because your tank has not even begun to cycle.

Like you I bought a small 'beginner' (30 ltr / 6gal) tank from my local P@H but did not buy the fish as they said to wait a week.

I spent the week reading this site, and others like it, and realised the mistake I had made. so we then went out and bought a big tank and cycled it for 4 weeks, added 2 fish waithed 2 weeks then added 2 more small fish untill we knew that putting fish in the tank was not a sentence of death for them.

It did help me that I was able to steal some filter media from an established tank to help with the cycling or our 4 weeks may have been much, much longer.

fishylp

Reaction score
I cycled my 29g using fish food. I didn't even start to get ammonia readings until a week or so after setting up the tank. The fish food needs to begin decomposing before it produces ammonia. Then when the cycle was almost finished I had an algae problem to boot.

Langy, just keep in mind the people at the LFS are trying to make a sale.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom