New Tank Question

1. W

Will170 Valued Member Member

Hey guys and gals,
    New member here but I've been lurking for awhile. I used a lot of the articles here to set up my first tank and cycle it. It's a 20 gallon. I'm currently running 2 hob filters that are for 20 gals and 2 heaters, and air stone and some fake plants.
    I have 3 mollys(2 female and a male) 3 Pictus catfish and a Male gourami, I can't remember what kind he is but he's gold with black stripes and long fins.
    Anyways I know these fish are going to outgrow this tank any time now. I'm upgrading to a 29 gallon for now until I can save up enough money for a 75 gallon( 6 or 7 months from now)
    My question is when I set up the 29 I'll be transferring over the two HOB filters, the fake plants, logs, heaters and air stones. I'll be conditioning the water with prime as well. After the tank gets up to temp do you think it will be safe to add the fish instantly? Thanks, Will

Attached Files:

2. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

put 1 filter on the new tank and check the parameters then if they look good i dont see why u wouldnt be able to add them to your upgrade

3. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

It should be fine. Match the temperature. The ph should be similar if you are using the same water source. As long as you bring the filters over before they have a chance to dry out (you have several hours), that should be fine. Good luck, the mollies will appreciate the additional room for sure!

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Yes.

5. OP
    OP
    W

Thanks. They aren't very old yet, they are only about an inch and a half long. But I'm sure they will love the room. I'll want to go the 20 going again before one of these females gets pregnant that way I have a tank for the fry.

6. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Stuff extra media into those filters now so you have an instant cycle when you need it.

7. OP
    OP
    W

Great advice. That makes a lot of sense and I'll do that.
    :).
    I'll be back on with an update after I get things moved around tomorrow
    I'm putting the stand for the 29 next to where my 20 is so everything is going to be so easy to switch back and forth