New tank (Progress) 40 Gallon Tank

1. saqib Well Known Member Member

Hey Guys,
    The inevitable part of the hobby happened (AGAIN :rolleyes:)
    I'm starting a new 40 gallon freshwater tank, been sitting idle and fishless for almost a month now. I cycled it with pure ammonia and finally achieved a reading of 0,0,12 ppm.

Just wanted to share a few pics.

Just set it up, have to go through a lot of cleaning:
    IMG_1137.jpg

Cleaned and scrubbed everything, time to take out those hard water stains and fill her up:
    IMG_1142.jpg

Time to add ammonia everyday and let her run:
    IMG_1144.jpg

Almost done!
    IMG_1149.jpg

Today's reading Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 12 ppm :;rfro
    IMG_1151.jpg

Time to start stocking the aquarium, one fish at a time.

I'm going with the following routine, please keep an eye out for any mistakes i might be making on the way.

Step 1: Add 6 giant danios and let the tank run for atleast a week.
    Step 2 + 1 week: Add 1 Blood parrot
    Step 3 + 1 week: Add another Blood parrot
    Step 4 +1 week: Add an angel

Ill keep my fellow fishlores posted! :;hug2

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

The tank is looking great!

The 40g will do nicely for a grow out tank for your Bloody Parrots. However, I would plan to house them in a larger home in the future. My largest Bloody Parrot at the moment is 10" x 8". These fish are slow growers so you have some time to enjoy them in the 40g.

Too, I would add the Bloody Parrots last and add them both at the same time. This will help to prevent territory issues and aggression toward new fish and each other.

Have fun and I'll be looking forward to updates. :)

Ken

3. yusufm52 Member Member

best of luck.. :)

4. saqib Well Known Member Member

weird and something that has never happened to me before, my tank has become very cloudy over the past two days despite 1) adding 25% mature filter media from my older tanks 2)doing a daily 50% water change

i added 2 juvenile shubunkins barely 2in each two days ago.

my tank probably is going through a mini cycle, this has never happened to me before though.

my readings after the water change are 0,0,10 ppm *confused

5. myriad1973 Well Known Member Member

I like the alternative of using grass as a substrate instead of gravel or sand. That's different.

6. yusufm52 Member Member

lets just wait and watch.. :)

7. saqib Well Known Member Member

An update, the tank temporarily houses 6 shubunkins (different sizes). These will be given to a friend of mine who's pond is almost done so that I start with what i originally set out to do with the tank :)

DSCN0697.jpg