New Tank Problems With Ammonia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by cuseman, Dec 16, 2018.

1. cuseman

cusemanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I went back to a 55g freshwater tank which I set up couple of months ago after doing saltwater for years. After the set up done and a couple of weeks passed, I decided not to do fishless cycle and put in a few platys. I have a new eheim cannister and enough water flow from each side of the tank. A week later added two dalmation mollys and then a couple of lyretail mollys a week or so later - I know, probably too much too fast but discussed with LFS and a guy who seemed quite knowledgeable. I kept waiting for a spike and as I lost a fish every few days, my ammonia went up over 1.0 and then I started more frequent water changes. I went away for 4 days and found 2 more fish dead. I checked all parameters and PH had gone down to about 6.0 at most and ammonia between .5 and 1.0. I now have one lyretail left and got PH back to almost normal but still cant get ammonia down below 0.5. As of last night, PH was 6.8-7.0, ammonia .5, nitrates 0 and nitrites 0. I dont want to add fish until ammonia is 0 and figured I would have ammonia down to 0 after 17 days but no. Any suggestions for this nagging issue or is this normal and ok?

2. Fishy McGee

Fishy McGeeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +173
    Experience:
    4 years
    Live plants and some aquarium balancers can help with the ammonia. Bad decision to jump in without the fishless cycle, as this allows bacteria that eat ammonia to grow

3. OP
    OP
    cuseman

cusemanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Looking back I should have known better after years of having tanks and done fishless cycle but now seem stuck on 0.5 for ammonia. Should I just keep doing water changes?

4. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Experience:
    2 years
    Prime renders ammonia and nitrites harmless to fish for 24-48 hours. I've done 3 tanks plus a mini cycle, Prime is a life saver.

5. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +398
    Experience:
    5 years
    The tank is cycling. Fish waste produces ammonia and without bacteria in the filter to rid it it will kill fish. I'm sure you already know this information but people at most lfs are going to tell you anything to sell you what you want. I had an oscar in a 20 gallon when I first started keeping fish because my lfs said it was ok. They also never tell people about the nitrogen cycle. Instead they tell you that if your ph is at 7 or as close to it its fine it add fish after having the tank set up for a week. They just want to make room for new stock. The best thing to do is research before hand so you are not wasting time and money.

6. Momitar

MomitarNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would second the idea of live plants. They look great and have so many pluses for freshwater. Additionally, if you can get your hands on some filter muck from someone with a healthy tank you can seed your filter and help things along. Otherwise, keep changing the water and dosing with Prime until your filter cycles.

What’s your substrate? Also, check your tap water for ammonia. I’ve seen some posters talking about their tap water having ammonia in it and them having to age the water before use.

7. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,942
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you're going to do a fish-in cycle, you really should use some bacteria-in-a-bottle product. I've had great success with Tetra Safe Start Plus (TSS+). I also tried API Quickstart and Stability but TSS+ is the only one that worked undeniably for me. Stability is more of a booster than anythign else. With any of these products, you need to shake the snot out of the bottles before using. Once you think you shook it enough, do it for 5 more mins. Really.

Live plants will definitely help.

Stop chasing pH. Ignore it. Don't test for it. When the tank is cycled and established, maybe test it once to get an idea of what your pH is but don't stress over it.