NEW TANK PRICES URGENT!!

jason in houston

Reaction score
i will be getting a 55 gallon tank. how much would it cost for the tank stand and other stuff

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well it all depends where you get it from, your talking easy a 200+$ if you need hood, filter, heater, gravel, test kit, stand, decorations, food, fish if you buy it all not on sale and a petstore. You can check ebay, aquabid, and craigslist for cheaper stuff and look for sales by you to save. It also depends on how high quality you want, it really depends because you could spend maybe 200$ or easy 400$ all depending how nice of equipment you want, it's hard to say.

Welcome to fishlore

guppygranny

Valued Member
Reaction score
"How much" is so relative when dealing when dealing with fish upkeep. Wrought iron stands, though cheaper than cabinet types probably won't last. Once wet, they rust. Cabinet types made from particle board can swell and warp over time, not a good idea for a really big tank. I recommend buying the best solid wood cabinet you can afford. A good one will have an open place in back to thread through tubes and hoses and be big enough to house a canister filter. Ideally there will be plenty of space to store supplies and food. I've seen them as high as $500. Buy the best you can afford. Oh, one other thing, be sure the floor it's going to be sitting on is level. A friend of mine placed a lovely 75 gal in the den of her older house. The water level was off by an inch on one side of the tank. She had to drain it all out, scoop out the decorations and gravel then had to have her floor leveled. It was a major pain. Good luck! Guppygranny

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yup, all good advice. It depends what quality products you want and where you'll be buying. Also, the same size stand may be made for example for both a 75 and a 90 gallon tank, so in that case the stand will cost you the same (doesn't matter if you buy a 75 or a 90 gallon tank). This is because the dimensions of the stand determine the cost. My stand is 48" by 18" (my tank is 75 gallons), and the same stand that I have is also used for a 90 gallon tank (because this 90 gallon tank is simply taller, but still is 48" long and 18" wide).

I paid for my stand about $300 and for my tank about $150-200 (don't remember exactly, would have to find my receipt). I bought them at Aquarium Adventure. I realize this is not cheap, but my local LFS has THE SAME prices, so I just bought them at Aquarium Adventure. I could have ordered them cheaper online, but when you order online you pay A LOT for shipping and handling, so it comes to the same price anyway - as if you bought them locally. So it made no sense for me to buy online. My tank and stand are made by All-Glass Aquarium. I like this company as I have a 10 and a 30 gallon tank from this company, and so far no problems (not even a scratch on the glass). So I believe they're good quality. As for my stand it is a pine stand (from AGA). I don't know if it will do well over time, but I hope so. Guppygranny, what's your opinion on AGA's pine stands?

My 30 gallon tank has a metal stand, but I think I will buy AGA's pine stand for it (that will be when I empty the tank to re-decorate it). I don't really like metal stands. It's true that they can start to rust - and that's not exactly good. Besides, they don't really look "attractive". If you don't mind that, it's up to you. But if you want a stand to look nice in your room, go for some nice wooden stand.

I don't know how long and wide your tank and stand will be. If they'll be the length of my 75 gallon tank and stand, you'll pay around $500 for both. But you may get them cheaper even at your local fish store if you're not buying in NY. In NY, everything is expensive, so that's probably why I paid more for my tank and stand. If your tank and stand are smaller than mine, and if you're not buying in NY, you may get them for quite less. I'd say $400 MAX for both tank and stand (possibly even $300 only). But that's just tank and stand (I was talking about glass tanks and pine stands). You'll also need filter, heater, and lighting, plus many other necessary items for a freshwater tank. You may pay a lot and you may pay not much for all of them, depending on what you're buying and where you're buying. If you want good quality equipment but for much less money, buy online at Big Al's:

Good Luck

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If cost is a concern there are used for sell. Check locally. I saw 2 or 3 used tanks for sell near Beaumont, Texas. They usually come with lots of extra stuff.

jason in houston

Reaction score
are those aquariums connected to the stand the good kind. one brand is called oceanic or something

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no knowledge of such tanks but my instinct Say's to avoid cause if there is a problem with one area either tank or stand you will be replacing both. Where with separate items You get the picture.

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you have the tools you can build one yourself. I built one for a 120 gallon tank(5 ft. long) but made it 6 foot long and 2 feet wide for $100 and this included the hardware for the doors,screws and so on. My son and I built it in 3 hours useing mainly 2x4's, and fancy pine bead wood for the front. We used about 20-30 2x4's. We built it down the cellar and it just made it up through the doorway. Heavy as a bugger and we went through over 10 lbs. of screws.

I only made it bigger just in case I go bigger in the future such as a 150 or 180 gallon. If I do it's back to the drawing board except this time I'll build it where it's going to be or in the back yard when spring or summer time comes around and attempt not to bring it up the cellar steps. My back is still killing me plus my wife bought the floor jacks to help support the weight of the tank and the stand.

If your going to build your own I would say $50 is more than enough. Just be sure the wood is on sale like I did.

John

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
if it will help I just bought a beautiful 46 gallon bowfront... tank, stand, hood, and light came out to $399.00.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check Ebay!! I narrowed my search down to within 100 mi of my home, and I bought a lovely 30 gallon half-hex tank with stand (made of pine) for $100!! I had priced them new at SuperPetz and PetCo, and they were over $300!!! And because the guy lives close, he is gong to bring it to my house, instead of shipping it. Good luck-- I hope you get a good deal.

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
I saw, at Petsmart today, the complete 55 setup (tank, hood, filter, etc.) for about $150. Stands run about the same, I found my wrought iron stand at Pet Supermarket for $89. I got my complete 55 gal setup there for $179. tank, hood, bio-wheel filter, heater.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom