New Tank Old Filter Media??? Help 

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am due to upgrade from my fluval roma 90 to my new shiny oase highline 200, so basically I’m going to put a new eheim professional 4+ 600 filter on it but I’m going to use the water from my existing tank to half fill new tank and the filter media from my existing filter into my new filter then gradually add the extra 100 litres through out the day like 25 litres at a time x4 just to be on the safe side. I’m not expecting the tank to cycle again and will clean the new tank with normal tap water to kill anything offend get rid of any dust and then syphon that off before adding the existing tank water from my old tank. I hope this is making sense to everyone. My questions are, there will be the same amount of fish so no extra on the bio load just an extra 100 litres of water added so even better water I guess? Is there a chance it could cycle again? Will the bacteria still be alright even though there is the same amount of fish and waste as before but twice the volume of water? I’m pretty sure I know the answers I’m just making sure in case I’ve missed anything. I won’t suffer from new tank syndrome even though it’s a new tank with old water and filter media? I’d be grateful of any advice as I’m putting my 12 zebra plecos in there and don’t want to take any chances. Many thanks people ;)

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Coradee Hi, any input ;) lol

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In theory atleast moving over the filter media will process the same bio load. The amount of extra water is irreverent. As with any big change it must be monitored but again you should be good.

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So as long as new tank is rinsed through there should be no other problems?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By doing what you are doing you are just moving the cycle from one tank to another. If you don't move substrate and deco from the smaller tank to the bigger one you will lose some bacteria so could experience a mini-cycle. If at all possible I do recommend you move everything from the old tank to the new one so you aren't leaving a good deal of bacteria behind.

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
By doing what you are doing you are just moving the cycle from one tank to another. If you don't move substrate and deco from the smaller tank to the bigger one you will lose some bacteria so could experience a mini-cycle. If at all possible I do recommend you move everything from the old tank to the new one so you aren't leaving a good deal of bacteria behind.
Haha there is nothing in the other tank really, I run a bare bottom tank and a large piece of driftwood and slate pleco caves that will be going in, so I won’t be losing any bacteria, exactly the same will be going in the new tank as was in the old but I get what your saying and if I did have substrate I would be moving it too :) thanks for your help though

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anyone else with anymore info? Also would an eheim professional 4+ 600 be ok to run in 200 litre tank? It turns over 2000lph? Thanks again :)

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kevzebrapleco said:
Anyone else with anymore info? Also would an eheim professional 4+ 600 be ok to run in 200 litre tank? It turns over 2000lph? Thanks again :)
According to Eheim it's 1250 lph?

EHEIM external filter professionel 4+ 600

In any case it should be adequate for 200l.

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for pointing that out, it will be fine then, maybe a little under powered? I wanted about 10 x volume per hour. I was looking at so many filters the other night. I’ve just checked the 1200xlt doesn’t even do 2000lph :p so I wonder what filter I was looking at haha.

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anyone had any experience of an eheim professional 4+ 350e?

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So eventually did the move today to the new tank. Ended up buying the eheim 4e 350 filter which turns over 1500lph and pump head of 2 metres so it’s pretty powerful enough for my 200 litre tank I thinks? Also put all the old filter media from old filter in new filter and used the 100 litres of water from old tank to half fill new tank and gonna add 25 litres a day for 4 days to try not to disturb them too much. As it is now it should be pretty much the same parameters as old tank but just double the size lol. Also moved all furniture I had over without cleaning it just incase it helps out a little. But once the tank & fish are settled I’ll be giving it a spring/winter clean haha. I’ve also added a new eheim Streamon Powerhead and eheim 350 surface skimmer to hopefully keep tank pristine and perfect conditions for the Zebra Plecos and new eheim 400 air pump for the bubble curtain. Anyone have any advice or input would be great, many thanks and Merry Xmas everyone ;)

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh well

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I still only run air sponges on my zebra tanks.
I don't even own one canister either ..
I will say I am catching up to you ..
Went to my supplier in NJ..
10 zebras in the house now !
I keep the first 5 and second group still separated .
Maybe they get to upgrade together soon !

I use the 350 skimmers ..I take the sponge out and place food in them and it shoots food all over the place for my finicky fish in bigger tanks .
I really like the skimmers..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom