New tank not level

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Jswin, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I noticed the water leveling my new 55gal wasn't exactly level so I checked it. It was awful so I emptied it and attempted to level it and filled it again. I got it a lot better but not perfect. Just want some feedback should I worry about this
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437352602.589855.jpg

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I would say it's within reason, but you really should consider getting it level. Is the tank on carpet or wood/tile?

3. OP
    OP
    Jswin

Carpet. I'm wondering if it won't level out over time

4. LiterallyHydro

Get some shims to use on your aquarium. It's simple.

Just get shims from the hardware store. Drain the tank to only half full and place shims under the side of the tank that needs to be raised. Make sure the shims are evenly spaced very close to each other and hammer them in until the tank is sitting level.

Then just snap off the remaining part of the shims and your tank is level. :) I had to do that with my 75G before setting it up again as it was a lot worse than what was shown in your picture.

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

For peace of mind, I would get it level. Uneven pressure from the water can cause the seal to fail. Shims work wonders. I have use these on smaller tanks on carpet and wood.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Uneven water level is not safe because the lower part would have more water pressure than the higher part.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Agree with LiterallyHydro use shims. The use of foam board/ styrofoam between the tank and stand will also help to level it up.

8. LiterallyHydro

That's exactly what I used for my 75 gallon. It did the job perfectly.

Using a foam layer between the tank and stand does not help to level the tank. The tank's weight would just compress it a huge amount. Using a foam layer is good for smoothing out any imperfections on either the tank or the stand, such as nail heads or screw heads.

Very true, that an uneven aquarium is unsafe. But there has to be a point where it's no longer safe. Whether that's 1-2 degrees or 5 degrees.

In this case I would also suggest leveling the tank but in smaller tanks or in very certain circumstances I would say it's not as dangerous. I had a 29G system running for a few years with no problems without leveling it before setup.

My 75G on the other hand I definitely made sure it was as level as it could be, and it'd would be all the more important on even larger tanks.

9. OP
    OP
    Jswin

Nice. I didn't even think about shims. I knew someone would have a good idea.

The backside that is against the wall is where the shims need to go so this is gonna be interesting trying to get shims between the wall and stand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  10. OP
    OP
    Jswin

UPDATE: got it.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437430720.617251.jpg

Thanks guys

11. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

The main thing, for making the aquarium safe, is to make sure that the four bottom corners of the aquarium lie in the exact same plane with the tank empty, and that they remain in the same plane as you add the gravel and water.

If they do not, then the tank will twist as you add the water. This twisting will cause the seals to suffer from extreme forces, and that's why a lot of tanks leak or fail completely.

I like to level the tank with it empty to begin with so that the tank assumes it's natural "from the factory" shape, with no distortion or tweaking of it's shape. It should be "square" at that point.

The support should be rigid enough that it doesn't twist or distort as weight is applied. Then, as you add the substrate and water, the support (and thus, the bottom of the tank) remains in that shape. Square, with the four corners still lying in one plane.

Shims are great. But install them under the exact corners of the tank. And make sure your stand does not twist or warp out of square as you apply the weight.

12. cooperbh

cooperbh Valued Member Member

Am I the only one who went and put a level on their tank immediately after reading this thread?

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

awesome!! :)

14. OP
    OP
    Jswin

There are shims on both corners as well as every 3-5 inches apart. The tank is level all the way across

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice