New Tank Nitrite level staying high

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by charitystripe, Dec 1, 2012.

1. charitystripeNew MemberMember

Hello, my tank (10 gallon) is about 5 weeks young, and for the past 2 weeks, I have been doing a fishless cycle. The ammonia level is slightly above 0 at .25, but the nitrite is at 5 every time I check it. I did have 3 bloodfins in the tank for about 2 weeks, then after realizing the tank was too small for them, I returned them back to the LFS. So for the past 2 weeks, I have been doing water changes and adding the dechlorinator each time, but the nitrite remains at 5 every time. What have I been doing wrong, what can i do to get it down to 0? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

2. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Hi, Charity and Welcome to FishLore!

I noticed that you have not filled out your "About Me" in your profile. Click on "Settings" in the top right corner. When the Settings page loads, click on "Edit Profile". When that page loads, be sure to fill in as much as you can about your tank(s). It will help other members assist with resolving your issues.

What do you use to test your water parameters? If you are using any test strips, I'd advise ceasing on using them as they are highly inaccurate. I'd suggest using the API Master Liquid Testing Kits. You can usually get them at your local LFS, but they are a bit cheaper online (Amazon,  , etc).

If you aren't familiar with the nitrogen cycle, I'd suggest you reading that as well. You can click on the underlined (nitrogen) and it will lead you to the page of information about it.

How many and how often are you performing partial water changes? How much (percentage wise) are you changing? Are you vacuuming the substrate when doing so each time, or?

I don't mean to overwhelm you with questions, but it's vital to know when a member is attempting to help resolve your issue. Too, that's why it is important to fill in your "About Me".

It sounds like, though, you are still in the cycling process. It usually can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks on up to about 6-8 weeks. From my experience, a 10 Gallon commonly can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, depending on how well the process goes.

Too, I am not sure what you are using as water conditioner. Seachem Prime is the best on the market, IMO. A good majority of the forum members use it as well.

Hopefully this will get you started on the right track. Others might chime in soon. Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    c

charitystripeNew MemberMember

Thanks for the reply. I filled out my tank info in the profile. To answer your questions -
    I am using nitrite/nitrate test strips. I just bought the liquid kit from the site you recommended, thanks. I have read quite a bit about the nitrogen cycle before joining the forum, and I did check out all the stickies and links here. But reading about it and actually doing it are different things as i'm sure you know.

I've done 2 50% water changes in the last 7 days, before this week I had been doing it once a week. And i'm using the API tap water conditioner every water change. Since my nitrite is still so high, I am thinking it might be an issue with my tap water. Do you recommend getting Prime?

Thanks for all the help.

4. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Yes, I definitely recommend Prime for water conditioner. I have never used API, so not sure if that is as beneficial or not.

I'd suggest doing daily partial water changes until you get your nitrites down. Be sure to wait 24 hours before testing with your API Testing kit, too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice