New Tank New Fish

Danm12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a new 10g with With 2 guppys both of them seem to be okay they swim around really playing with each other.

The tank has been running for about 2 weeks the guppy are about 3days in now. I had 3 neons started with 3 neons on somewhat poor advice they didnt make it far.

The tank was started with a BB starter and seem to be going well I had a NA reading. As of now I'm getting AM readings around .5 and have been changing the water daily I've moved to less water changing and using prime to keep the AM in the tank to feed the BB.

AM .5
NI 0 ish
NA 10-20 stable
Ph 7
Alk high but safe

In the tank I have two guppys a small live plant two hides and a fake plant thats tall.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wait, so what is your question??? Also what sex are the guppies and what is a BB? Just curious

Danm12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why is ammonia going up daily when I have nitrates, showing that it has been getting converted And should I slow down water changing and just let the ammonia go free with prime.

Could the biostart failed after only working a little bit?

Male
Beneficial bacteria = BB

Danm12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I stopped the daily changes and I'm now using prime how high should the ammonia go with prime.
I use api lquid test with tetra strips.
The strips show 10ppm NA all says little to non, I tested my water with both as a base and NA is 0 in tap.

I added the starter right after filling the tank and after the conditioner. I tested my water and it holds little to no chloride test says 0

Should i add a starter again?

SunEater

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Danm12 said:
I stopped the daily changes and I'm now using prime how high should the ammonia go with prime.
I use api lquid test with tetra strips.
The strips show 10ppm NA all says little to non, I tested my water with both as a base and NA is 0 in tap.

I added the starter right after filling the tank and after the conditioner. I tested my water and it holds little to no chloride test says 0

Should i add a starter again?
I would add some more TSS or maybe switch to Stability if you want to use BB. Stability you don't have to wait 24hrs after a water change since it's made with Seachem Prime in mind. If you want to stick with other BBs, then just add it at least 24hrs after adding any dechlorinator. Stability worked for me but so did TSS for another tank. Just make sure the bottles are in date and you shake it well. The formula another member gave me for water changes when I was having trouble was this:
Ammonia + Nitrites = less than 1ppm, add full tank volume of Prime and Stability. Recheck Parameters in 24hrs.
Ammonia + Nitrites = 1ppm or more, do a 50% water change, add full tank volume dose of Prime and Stability. Recheck in 24hrs.

Paulsz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes it could be that there is bacteria there, but the ammonia source is more than the bacteria can handle. I honestly would just use prime once a day reduce ammonia shock and leave it at that. Reduce feedings to once every other day for a little while. Maybe a week or two. Should help. then only do a water change if you're ammonia goes above 1 or when your nitrates go up to like 20-40

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also have you tested the water you use when you change the water? Sometimes the water you start with has ammonia in it. Mine usually has .25 and that's usually what all my tanks read at even though they're all cycled just cuz of me topping them off or doing water changes

Danm12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Left is tank right is tap.
And doesn' seem as the ammonia has gone up in 24hours. So it seems the ammonia jumps from .25 to .5 and stays there

Next image is the tank them look fine to me always swimming together looks like they are playing.
20180506_071316.jpg
1525605365696270823879.jpg

It's been at the same .5 for 3 days now with no NI NA gain.

So on to about a week + with .25 ammonia in the tank 0ni seemly 0na

Danm12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the water tests are showing 0 ni 0 na, i have a live plant so it might be using the na.
the strip tests are are showing the 0-1ppm ni 10-20ppm na

but Ammonia has stayed the same for a few weeks why would that be

Ammonia is going up a bit I started using seachem stability to help. I'm thinking the filter I got with the marina kit isn't handling the cycle

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Danm12 said:
Ammonia is going up a bit I started using seachem stability to help. I'm thinking the filter I got with the marina kit isn't handling the cycle
I don't have experience with kits but feel most of the things I've read that's a common problem and people usually end up having to change filters.

I'm sorry to hear youre still having issues

I'd suggest to keep up with frequent water changes in the meantime to keep everyone safe.

Danm12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I' starting think these two are on the way one has eaten in over a week he tries the food and swims away. The other now seems stressed not eating swimming weird and picking at the bottom as well as floating around at the bottom.

Please help Idk what to do should I get a new filter and try to cycle it as this ones acting weird?

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom