New Tank, New Boy, New Opportunity!

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello!

My name is Libby and at one point I was on here a LOT! Some of you folks might remember me, and for those of you who don't, hi! Over my little break I became a published author of a short story ebook, and I'll be publishing a novel soon, so I've been pretty busy.

I love Bettas by the way. That's what I stick to mostly when I keep fish.

I'm here to introduce my new boy Cory.

FullSizeRender.jpg

He is really pretty and I got him from my cousin for my birthday. After 'saiah I wanted to get a boy with shorter fins and an attitude.
Cory's got a shorter tail but elephant ear pecs. !!

He's currently in a 5g with a heater, and sponge filter. This tank was previously established so I didn't need to cycle it.

Right now levels are 0, 0, 10-20ppm. I'm working on the nitrates. They're a little higher than I want them to be, since this is a 5g. I'm doing WC 50% once a week or about 25% twice a week. I'm testing to see which method will work better to keep the nitrates down consistently rather than up and down and up again.

Also, I want to add maybe some Ammanos (I've been having severe algae issues, and I know once my nitrates are good, it'll help, but still) or maybe MAYBE ADFs if I feel like getting back into them. But we'll see. I want to get the nitrates down to where I'm comfortable with them and prove to myself that I can keep them there.

I just got some Seachem Prime from PetSmart, so I'll be switching to that from my Tetra water conditioner, which I'm excited about.

I also just added in a bubble wall, but it's a lot stronger than I think Cory is comfortable with, so for now I have it off. Do any of you have suggestions on how to slow it? I tried tying the line some, but it just loosens and also it's too slow that it's uneven flow. Is that fixable?

Also, for plants, right now I have two sad little Amazon Swords that won't grow and I'm really sad to be suffocating them like this. XD. My light is not plant compatible, apparently, so more likely than not I'm gonna surrender my Amazons to Neverland and dip into Silks. We'll see.

IMG_0571.JPG

So that that! Also, I got the app now, so that's why I'm more able to be on here. I'm excited to get back into this awesome community.

puffer boi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i thought i saw you some where on a old thread!
your betta look super cute.
what is the book called?

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i thought i saw you some where on a old thread!
your betta look super cute.
what is the book called?
Thank you! I really love him. He's my eighth Betta, since I keep only Bettas pretty much.
It's still under construction to some point. I'm having my betas (betta readers, not fish. XD) read through it and am finishing the editing. It's titled "The Missing Piece" and it's a short story about a girl who's searching for tangible proof of God. I'm a Christian so my books are Christian based.
The novel I'm working on is called "Dewdrops and Butterflies" and it's about a 14 year old foster girl who runs away from her foster parents and lives in a forest for the summer. It's a lot of fun. I'm super excited to be finishing it up.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your an author now??? That is so awesome! I’m so happy for you! I’ll have to look up your book! It sounds interesting(so does the one in the works!).

Cory is very pretty, but you do know he’s not a Cory and a betta right? Lol, just kidding. He really is a cutie and I can just sort of tell he has to be packed with attitude lol.

For the bubbles, have you gotten an airline valve? They sell some that controls the output of the air. You can usually find some at the LPS.

Nataku

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tried osmocote root tabs with your amazon swords yet? I see you have gravel substrate, whixh isnt really a great substrate for plants. Sticking a root tab under each one of them may help them grow.
Also, I find bettas love floating plants. They like to hang in the dangling roots amd build bubble nests under the leaves. Those may be more your speed as then you dont need to worry about any kind of fertilizers, they all draw nutrition right from the water column. Some suggested species include dwarf water lettuce, salvinia, frogbit and red root floaters.

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your an author now??? That is so awesome! I’m so happy for you! I’ll have to look up your book! It sounds interesting(so does the one in the works!).

Cory is very pretty, but you do know he’s not a Cory and a betta right? Lol, just kidding. He really is a cutie and I can just sort of tell he has to be packed with attitude lol.

For the bubbles, have you gotten an airline valve? They sell some that controls the output of the air. You can usually find some at the LPS.
Yes!! Thank you!

Yes. XD. I know Cory is a Betta. I actually named him Everest after the boy that I lost to Dropsy, but he renamed himself. Cory was the name of one of my LFS employees who was really nice to me, despite the fact that I knew more than he did.
I originally wanted a Koi, but this guy was really pretty so I'm happy to have him.
Yes he has attitude. *eyeroll*

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! Thank you! I'll get one of those then.

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tried osmocote root tabs with your amazon swords yet? I see you have gravel substrate, whixh isnt really a great substrate for plants. Sticking a root tab under each one of them may help them grow.
Also, I find bettas love floating plants. They like to hang in the dangling roots amd build bubble nests under the leaves. Those may be more your speed as then you dont need to worry about any kind of fertilizers, they all draw nutrition right from the water column. Some suggested species include dwarf water lettuce, salvinia, frogbit and red root floaters.
Ok thank you. I'm just not sure if fertilizer will help any since my light is bad.

I'll look into top plants. I did have duck weed for a while, but it was SUCH A HASSLE that I ended up getting rid of it all.

sarah zehowski

Valued Member
Reaction score
Your tank looks magical in this pictures! Cory is adorable what kind is he? I’m going betta shopping this weekend and I want one like that I love the short fins.

I’m also looking for some low light floating plants if you have any suggestions

Also I got a sponge filter which has been a life saver with my Bettas! It’s so much better than any other filter I’ve had. And the bubbles just go up in one area, wherever the filter is. The surface is pretty bubbly but my betta didn’t seem to mind, the rest of the water is calm. You could try that

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes!! Thank you!

Yes. XD. I know Cory is a Betta. I actually named him Everest after the boy that I lost to Dropsy, but he renamed himself. Cory was the name of one of my LFS employees who was really nice to me, despite the fact that I knew more than he did.
I originally wanted a Koi, but this guy was really pretty so I'm happy to have him.
Yes he has attitude. *eyeroll*

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! Thank you! I'll get one of those then.
I'm glad your getting back into bettas after losing some, it's really tough but bettas always seem to call you back(I know that's happened with me at least, even when I was like “Nope!”... I got dragged back in... lol). I bet the employee would feel really good if he knew that he had a fish named after him because he was kind. Can mean a lot when you find out you had an impact on someone.
You know, koi’s Are pretty and all, but I think I generally prefer the type you got(is it jus me or do they kind of look like red velvet cake?). Besides, who could turn down a fish full of sass? Lol, he sounds like he’s going to be a lot of fun to have around!

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm glad your getting back into bettas after losing some, it's really tough but bettas always seem to call you back(I know that's happened with me at least, even when I was like “Nope!”... I got dragged back in... lol). I bet the employee would feel really good if he knew that he had a fish named after him because he was kind. Can mean a lot when you find out you had an impact on someone.
You know, koi’s Are pretty and all, but I think I generally prefer the type you got(is it jus me or do they kind of look like red velvet cake?). Besides, who could turn down a fish full of sass? Lol, he sounds like he’s going to be a lot of fun to have around!
For sure! I never planned to stop, but I did need a break.

It's just the photo. He's actually a really pretty hot pink, not so much red.

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all. Just an update. I am a bit worried about Cory.
The last couple day's his ventral's have been tucked. (translation: he's stressed)
My levels are good, 0, 0, 10-20. Heater set to about 80*.
It might have gone a little crazy. I don't have a thermometer, but when I went to test my levels this morning, the water was significantly warmer than I'm used to feeling. I already did a 25%WC since then to get the water to a more normal temp. I'm also watching my heater. I don't think that was the issue. It might have been the lighting I have heating the water. That is off right now too.

THINGS I CHANGED.
So I pulled out my Amazon swords out of the tank yesterday when I did my weekly 50% WC. I placed them in a aerated gallon jar by my window to see if the sunlight will help the chlorophyll and they might get better. I plan to replace about 75% of the water in the jar with Cory's aquarium water to keep the necessary Nitrates in the water for them to use.
This move means that the only cover that he has left in the tank as of now is that one cave with the snail. I'm not sure if maybe that's setting him off.
Also, he is a more aggressive type, and he does flare at his reflection on the back wall almost daily.
I plan to go to Petsmart tomorrow and get a bunch of silk plants and see if maybe that will help him relax some. He is an elephant ear so despite the fact that he has a short tail, he still gets pushed slightly by the sponge. The dufus likes to float around the top of the sponge and eat the tiny bubbles that end up getting pulled back down by the flow. XD
So that's that for now. Suggestions on maybe what else I could do to help him relax would be appreciated. I might end up getting a hammock too, but I'm hoping a bunch of silk plants will be enough.

Attachments

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The change in environment could be what’s causing him stress(let’s hope that’s all!). I’d just keep a close eye on him and make sure no other symptoms pop up. Since you’ll be getting him some more cover(heads up with silk plants, make sure that the plastic parts are still fin-safe as I’ve found some of them to have really sharp plastic) the only over thing I’d suggest is some tannins, like from almond leaves or anything else aquarium safe.

Lol, that’s funny he likes to eat bubbles. At least a 0 calorie snack haha

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The change in environment could be what’s causing him stress(let’s hope that’s all!). I’d just keep a close eye on him and make sure no other symptoms pop up. Since you’ll be getting him some more cover(heads up with silk plants, make sure that the plastic parts are still fin-safe as I’ve found some of them to have really sharp plastic) the only over thing I’d suggest is some tannins, like from almond leaves or anything else aquarium safe.

Lol, that’s funny he likes to eat bubbles. At least a 0 calorie snack haha
Well.. he's been tucking for a couple days, and I only changed the environment yesterday. I'm pretty sure he just needs some cover to unwind. I'll keep y'all up to date.

Lol yeah.

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I've added some cover. Removed the dying Amazon and I'm giving it to my cousin who has a 150g. (And the correct plant lights, so hopefully I'll see them revive and flourish)

I also learned a lesson today. Don't feed the frog first. My Cory is a scavenger. XD. He wouldn't leave the place I put the food for the frog, so I didn't even get to feed him today. Not doing that again. Cory first, then the frog.

Hmm... so do I need to have 3 frogs for them to be happy? I can't remember if they are "schooling" or not.

I got 4 shrimps right now that I can see. One of them might be hiding. Or it may have gotten out. *cringes*. I taped off the hole today so marking sure that doesn't happen again. I was told that RCS don't really try to get out of the tank, but I've had Amanos run off before and found them later. *yucky* and so I didn't want that to happen.

Gonna post pics of the new scape tomorrow.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol, well at least you will not have to worry to much about the frog not getting much to eat! Just feed them on seperate sides of the tank haha.
Frogs are social so they prefer to have at least 2, but 3 would be good as well. Although I’d set the max at 3 since you’ve also got a betta in there.
Looking forward to the pics!

mg13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_1230.JPG

Thar it is. looks pretty good to me. Still a little bugged about Cory flaring at himself, but I'm getting paid soon and will be getting some of the more hairy silk plants for the back. They'll be good for the shrimp too. But I want them green and the LFS yesterday only had purple ones.

IMG_1221.JPG

One of my RCS. She had a big belly. Not pregnant yet though I don't think. I'm fairly sure I got a male yesterday, but gotta get a good pic for y'all to confirm for me.

IMG_1226.JPG

Another pic.

On the right I used an air stone to create lots of bubbles to cover up the heater, so there is a heater in there as well as I just bought a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp.
I turn off the air stone at night, just to give Cory a break if he needs one. So far he doesn't seem too bothered by it, but when I turn the lights off I unplug the bubble so he can sleep.

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anubias are really easy plants that do great in low light aquariums. You can tie an anubia onto a rock or small piece of driftwood. If you plant it in the gravel, only plant the roots but keep the rhizome above the gravel. Congratulations on your new fish!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom