New tank, need stocking / lighting advice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Zoe Stevens, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Zoe StevensNew MemberMember

Hi folks!

After several years out of the hobby, I've started to put together an idea for a planted tank. I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on my plan.

20 gal long
    24" Satellite LED+ light
    No pressurized CO2 (maybe a DIY reactor or API CO2 booster)
    HOB AC Filter
    Fluval Stratum substrate

Plants:
    Crypts
    Dwarf hairgrass or glosso
    Anubias
    Mosses
    Fissidens
    Pelia

Livestock:
    Trio of scarlet badis
    A betta
    Small pleco (BN)
    Cherry shrimp, maybe a couple amano

Overall, would this plan work?

Thanks!

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Bettas should not be kept in community tanks as they can get aggressive with other inhabitants. It may bother the badis as those are generally shy and inactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure about the scarlet badis, as I've heard once before that those are best off in species-only tanks, but that info might've been wrong, so please correct me if I am. :)

The pleco and the betta should be fine together, imo, if you have a peaceful betta.

I would be a little worried about the cherry shrimp and betta because I'd be concerned about them being eaten, so......

4. OP
    OP
    Z

Zoe StevensNew MemberMember

Thanks!

The betta and cherry shrimp are non negotiable as I already have them :) He hasn't eaten any of them yet, presumably because he can't fit them in his mouth.

I have had badis before in a community tank without issue - they were with a couple angelfish which didn't really go down to the badis' level. I was thinking that since bettas are top dwellers and badis are bottom dwellers, that they won't get in each other's way very much. I actually found the badis to be quite gregarious and active, and they mostly ignored the angelfish.

In terms of bioload, would it be acceptable? I feel fairly confident that the badis and the betta would be okay as they use completely different areas, but I'll do some more thinking and research on that.

Badis, bettas, baryancistrus and cherry shrimp (combo breaker) are my favourites so if I can get them in one tank (not to their detriment, of course) I would be so thrilled!

5. BornThisWayBettas

Imo, yes, the bioload should be fine as long as you keep up with your water changes, of course. Might get others' opinions on this, though.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

Thanks! Definitely open to more advice / recommendations. I'm a ways off from putting this together so I have lots of time to learn / listen / research.

7. ThatGuppyGuyValued MemberMember

The argument over community bettas probably will never end.
    It comes down to your choice, if you do go for it just keep an eye on them and always have a plan B in case things go sour.
    If you keep in heavily planted the scarlet badis might never even cross paths with the betta.

8. OP
    OP
    Z

That's the plan! Give them each their own world. I'll still have my Betta's current tank if he can't play nice.

9. BornThisWayBettas

I like that plan! :;th

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice