New tank...need ideas! 55 Gallon Tank

1. acolli51 Member Member

NEW 55 Gal. tank is just set up and starting to cycle so I figured I would take this time to ask around and get some stocking advice. I would love to get a Jack Dempsey and a pleco for the tank. I would prefer to keep cichlids in the tank as well. All ideas are much appreciated and any advice would be great. Thanks a lot, I am very excited about my new tank!:;banaman

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

A Jack Dempsey is a cichlid. ;)

If you're going to get a pleco, I'd suggest a smaller one like rubberlip or bristlenose. Common plecos grow far too large for a 55 gallon.

My Dempsey does well with a severum and blood parrot as tankmates. However, my tank is 75 gallons, so if you're going with another cichlid I'd suggest choosing only one more. It's important to keep the adult size of your fish in mind. :)

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

how about a jack dempsey, a pair of angels, and a bristlenose plec? GREAT job on cycling fishless :)

4. acolli51 Member Member

Fishless cycle is the only kind way to go:;hp Thanks for the input so far and keep it coming please. I have literally nothing in the tank right now so my options are limitless and that is ironically making my decisions more difficult, but in a great way. Thanks again.

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

How about some convict cichlids as well as the JD and RTS? They have LOADS of personality and if you have a pair of convicts, the JD will eat the fry. They need live food for optimal health.

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Acolli and Welcome to Fish Lore. Congrats on the new tank!
    Ken

8. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

Congrats on starting the fishless cycle. Hope your stocking list will turn out great! Keep us updated on photos :D

9. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

i would go with bb suggestion, she is practically an expert with convicts and jack dempseys

10. acolli51 Member Member

Still a lot of time to wait but I think I have settled on a J. Demp, 2 Convicts, and a Bristlenose Pleco. Maybe 5 Tiger Barbs later but I'll wait till everything is fully grown and see how it goes.

-Also, I think I'm pretty set on the list above (other than the barbs) but any input on what else could go with these in a 55g would be appreciated and thanks for all the help so far.

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Let me know when you're ready for cons if you have any problem finding some. I have several striped that will be ready in a few months for a new home. I'd be happy to ship you some. They were born in September.

12. acolli51 Member Member

Thanks bb, I might have to take you up on that. I'll make a note of that and contact you in a month or so if that's ok.

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That's perfectly fine. They'll still be here;)

14. acolli51 Member Member

New Fish! I bought a 2.5-3" rubber-lip pleco today and put him/her in my Q-Tank for now. Its name is Smacks ;D(the lips!) and it's my first purchase for the new 55gal!

Also, I'm thinking about a Turquoise Severum instead of the Dempsey and possibly a pair of Kribs instead of the Convicts... A friend has a breeding pair of the severum with fry and has offered me one for free.