New tank, need help quickly please

1. Plecosaurous Initiate Member

Hello,
    Today I bought a new 30 gallon tank off craigslist. While transporting I left about half the water in it. When I finally got it home I filled it, and tested the water. Here are my levels, Ammonia between 0 and .25, nitrite .25, and nitrate around 40. I know that having any ammonia and nitrite is bad, along with my high nitrate. How should I fix this problem?

There are 3 Cichlids in it, I think two are Jack Dempseys, not sure what the other one is, will post pics soon. Any advice on what to do with water parameters?

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Adding water will dilute the parameters. Then do a partial water change evryday for a few days - everything will be fine.
    Can't wait to see pics!

3. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Wow! I agree with amanda, fill her up, it should mix up the water. Do WC's everyday with aquemel + (it detoxes ammo, nitrites and nitrates)

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If you have an api master test kit, i would suggest that you use prime instead of amelquel plus. apparently, the two aren't compatible, and you'll get false readings

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

oh wow i didnt know that... The reason i mentioned aquemel plus instead of prime is because prime doenst detox the nitrates...

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

yes it does. there was a thread on that yesterday ;)

this is from the seachem website: Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

7. Plecosaurous Initiate Member

Pics are up in the members fishtank page if anyone would like to check em out!