New tank mates

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by joiakimfish, Jun 10, 2016.

1. joiakimfish

joiakimfishValued MemberMember

I picked up 6 red eye tetras and a rope fish yesterday (couldn't resist I've always wanted one) but the tetras they kinda cought my eye while at the store .... So I did a quick google of tank parameters that they required and took them happily ... I don't know much about them tho does anyone here have experience with them?

2. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

I haven't had red eye tetra's, but I can look everything you need to know if you want. But I think you can do that.

3. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

I have been just wanted to here from people from here with experience deff more reliable then Wikipedia and stuff ... Thanks for the offer :) :)

4. Sarah73

Is there any other fish you need to know about? Maybe black neon tetra's? I have experience in those :).

5. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

They tend to stay near the top, space themselves out rather than shoal, eat anything, and can be a bit nippy, but are usually very peaceful. The Ropefish shouldn't be a problem. They'll overeat so watch that they don't end up obese.

Edit... Are they the South American red eyes or the African ones?

6. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Sarah73 I do like the black neon tetras but I am scared they will get sucked up into my filters (fluval 406s)
    hampalong I'm not sure what kind they are how do I phisically tell the difference?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  7. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Google Image. They're very different fish. :)

8. Sarah73

Black neon tetra's are bigger than neon tetra's.

9. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Hmm they look most like the Americans version

10. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Can you post a pic of them?

11. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Sure give me a few to get home

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice