New tank mates

1. joiakimfish Member Member

I picked up 6 red eye tetras and a rope fish yesterday (couldn't resist I've always wanted one) but the tetras they kinda cought my eye while at the store .... So I did a quick google of tank parameters that they required and took them happily ... I don't know much about them tho does anyone here have experience with them?

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't had red eye tetra's, but I can look everything you need to know if you want. But I think you can do that.

3. joiakimfish Member Member

I have been just wanted to here from people from here with experience deff more reliable then Wikipedia and stuff ... Thanks for the offer :) :)

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Is there any other fish you need to know about? Maybe black neon tetra's? I have experience in those :).

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

They tend to stay near the top, space themselves out rather than shoal, eat anything, and can be a bit nippy, but are usually very peaceful. The Ropefish shouldn't be a problem. They'll overeat so watch that they don't end up obese.

Edit... Are they the South American red eyes or the African ones?

6. joiakimfish Member Member

Sarah73 I do like the black neon tetras but I am scared they will get sucked up into my filters (fluval 406s)
    hampalong I'm not sure what kind they are how do I phisically tell the difference?

7. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Google Image. They're very different fish. :)

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Black neon tetra's are bigger than neon tetra's.

9. joiakimfish Member Member

Hmm they look most like the Americans version

10. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Can you post a pic of them?

11. joiakimfish Member Member

Sure give me a few to get home