New Tank Mate

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Courtney Moreau, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

I have a 10g tank that housed 2 plays for almost a year. A mom and her baby, unfortunately mom died yesterday (my house is under construction and I was neglecting a little bit) i have a 20 g filter and dont want to add to much to my tank.

I want a friend for my platy, he/she (not great at finding out sex) is over 6 months old, I don't want them to be eaten.

I am open for another platy but kinda want to try something new!

Thank you!

2. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

A 10 gallon is kinda small for Platys. Personally, I wouldnt keep them in less than a 20. You could put a few Guppies in there and really not much else. If you wanted to go to a 20 gallon your options greatly increase.

3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I think a 10g is fine for 2-3 platies. If you don’t want any more platies then guppies or endlers are a good idea. You could do 4-5 endlers or 2-3 guppies. I’d suggest all male so you don’t get overrun with fry.

4. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

So its my dads birthday and he wants a beta, can I put that in the tank?

5. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

No... Bettas need a 20 long with heavy planting minimum for a community. Platies also aren’t the best choice for Betta tank mates because they can be a bit to boisterous and the temp compatibility isn’t the best.

What about helping him to set up his own Betta tank? That could be a fun bonding project!

6. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

You could try it, but be prepared to remove the Betta, even a year down the road, if necessary. Ive had lots of luck with Bettas in 10 gallon community tanks with Guppies and Rasboras.

If you try a Betta, Id go with a baby. I think thats way safer.

7. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

I have had the tank for almost 2 years with mostly platys and they are fine, I dont have as much time or money for the hobby so I just stick with my 10g

8. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

I think I'll possibly try a guppy if I do add another, for right now I'll just leave baby puddles alone. My tank will be moving soon anyways

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice