New Tank Layout Suggestions

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Sarah M, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Sarah M

Sarah MNew MemberMember

I just upgraded my betta's (Fawkes) tank from a 5.5 gallon to a 10 gallon tank and am looking for some guidance. IMAG1616.jpg

This is my first time with live plants (besides marimos) and I've already screwed it up a bit. I picked the plants (an Amazon Sword and an Anubias barteri) up while away over night and just plopped them into a vase for the night, thinking that they'd be fine until I got them back to the tank. Lol they're not called aquatic plants for nothing-- the Anubias was fine because it was fully submerged but the Amazon Sword looks a little rough now (oops).

Anyways, I clearly have no idea what I'm doing with regards to these plants. I was originally going to do a bare bottom tank and had planned to weigh the plants down by tying them to some heavy stones. However, I didn't like the look, so I put some gravel in that I had on hand and "planted" them. Do you think this will work? Is there a better way to plant them? Also, are root tabs necessary for these types of plants?

Thanks for the help!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Root tabs are necessary for Amazon swords, which should be planted. However, it'll outgrow your tank size. Any chance you can return it for something else?

The Anubias should not be planted - the rhizome will rot if below the substrate (from your pic, it looks like the rhizome is above the substrate, so it's fine if you want to leave it). You can let it float or tie it to decor. They do not need root tabs.

3. Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

maybe get some floating plants to help fill it in with a bit more green? Amazon Frogbit is nice looking, and bettas like the roots that hang down from the water surface. They're pretty inexpensive too.
    A nice piece of driftwood would be great in there too! :)

4. Heather2131New MemberMember

I'm doing a castle theme tank too! I have a similar castle
    I also made a tree with driftwood and Java moss
    A big piece of driftwood looks great in the tank under the lights

5. OP
    OP
    Sarah M

Sarah MNew MemberMember

Thank you for the tips and help!! So I've added to the tank-- a smaller Amazon sword and two java ferns. I tried returning the bigger sword but the store let me keep the original and gave me a smaller one! :) I trimmed some of the leaves that were dying on the big one and added root tabs to both swords, so hopefully they do well.

I also decided to do a soil substrate with a gravel cap, which was actually really fun to do. Here are some progression pics: IMAG1639.jpegIMAG1644.jpegIMAG1649.jpeg

The first one is the water quality (and substrate thickness) the first day, after 2 floods. The second is day 2 or 3, and the last is today, day 5. Fawkes is in love with the plants, he loves hiding in them like he is doing in the last picture. :)

I'm still playing with the placement of the anubias, and kinda think the marimos surrounding it are hilarious-- like some odd moss ball tree lol. Also, the java fern is planted (with root tabs) but some say it does best not planted, like the anubias. Thoughts?

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice