New Tank Inspiration

AnyaJ
HI guys!

I went to a new grocery store today because I was curious and found this beauty!

0816180806.jpg

0816180807.jpg

I'm in love with it because it matches the rustic/nautical theme I'm going for in my apartment, but I'm not sure what I could do with it! I was thinking of making it a small betta tank, but it can't be more than 1-2 gallons tops. Any ideas? I figured I could make it really match my theme by aquascaping around a pair of antlers, a ship, or maybe some minI keg barrels? If I really want to be funny/stereotypical, I could even aquascape around an empty bottle of rum lol

Advertisement
Repolie
Do you know the length, width, and height? I can help determine how many gallons is it. If it's a 1-2 gallon, I wouldn't put a betta in it and turn it into a shrimp breeding tank or something. Can that hold water?

Advertisement
goldface
I like the idea of leaving it shallow, and having a bunch of potted emersed plants growing with a single betta or a few small ricefish or endlers. Not really an original idea of mine. I saw something similar that I describe at my LFS.

AnyaJ
Do you know the length, width, and height? I can help determine how many gallons is it. If it's a 1-2 gallon, I wouldn't put a betta in it and turn it into a shrimp breeding tank or something. Can that hold water?
I'm going back to that grocery store today and I can bring a tape measurer. I won a $30 gift card there from my apartment complex and was going to go back today to do some BBQ grocery shopping for a friend's birthday. I'm not sure if it can hold water, but I could always get some sealant and do that myself, couldn't I?

I also considered shrimp, but I'm not sure what benefit I could get from them. Like I could feed them to my betta, maybe? Or I was thinking of basically cultivating/farming plants in this tank? I could use it as a very pretty/bougie quarantine tank?

Conversely, I've been looking into a rimless tank from a LFS that's 5 gallons long and was wondering if I could make this setup for this rimless tank I anticipate on buying? It wouldn't be permanently affixed to the rimless tank, more of just an aesthetic/stand I place the rimless tank on. I can sketch pictures later to make more sense.

AnyaJ
I like the idea of leaving it shallow, and having a bunch of potted emersed plants growing with a single betta or a few small ricefish or endlers. Not really an original idea of mine. I saw something similar that I describe at my LFS.
Oooooh a new fish entirely! That's a thought. Idk if it's wise for me to expand to new species yet. I'm barely getting my bearings with bettas lol

Also: new thought! It almost looks like a glass treasure chest. What if I made it's theme like the insides of a treasure chest? I could find ornaments/things that look like gold doubloons, pearls, a crown, etc.?

ValerieAdams
I love all of these ideas!

Advertisement
Repolie
Oh yeah, you could seal it too. Forgot about that. Yeah you can breed them to have a source of live food to enrich your betta. Or turn it into a terrarium or a paludarium with breeding shrimps. It'll be so cool!

AnyaJ
I love all of these ideas!
Thank you! I'm so excited that I don't know what to do with myself lol!

Oh yeah, you could seal it too. Forgot about that. Yeah you can breed them to have a source of live food to enrich your betta. Or turn it into a terrarium or a paludarium with breeding shrimps. It'll be so cool!
I honestly had to Google paludarium, but I had this thought, as well! I don't think I should start getting other pets (like frogs/other reptiles), but having a little land/water mix could be awesome! Do shrimp benefit from land? I assumed they were entirely aquatic.

Repolie
I honestly had to Google paludarium, but I had this thought, as well! I don't think I should start getting other pets (like frogs/other reptiles), but having a little land/water mix could be awesome! Do shrimp benefit from land? I assumed they were entirely aquatic.
Yeah they don't need the land, but you can have an aquarium with a terrarium! I find the decorating of terrariums very pretty and calming and you can have some sort of cute creature living in the aquatic portion of it.

Edit: They also do climb, this is why you need a tight lid with no escape. So they might go on the land a bit, if you have too much land they might get stuck and can't find their way back, so try to keep the majority of it aquatic.

AnyaJ
Got some measurements! 18" x 5.5" x 5".

Yeah they don't need the land, but you can have an aquarium with a terrarium! I find the decorating of terrariums very pretty and calming and you can have some sort of cute creature living in the aquatic portion of it.

Edit: They also do climb, this is why you need a tight lid with no escape. So they might go on the land a bit, if you have too much land they might get stuck and can't find their way back, so try to keep the majority of it aquatic.
This tank doesn't have a very tight lid, but maybe I can place a paperweight or something on it? Also, while measuring the tank today, I could shift around the glass so I'm fairly certain it is not water-tight. Any recommendations on sealant? Or should I instead pursue the idea of buying the 5 gallon long rimless tank and making my own fixings for it?

Advertisement
Iverg1
2.14 gallons. I would peruse the 5 gallon rimless

King o´ Angelfish

This tank doesn't have a very tight lid, but maybe I can place a paperweight or something on it? Also, while measuring the tank today, I could shift around the glass so I'm fairly certain it is not water-tight. Any recommendations on sealant? Or should I instead pursue the idea of buying the 5 gallon long rimless tank and making my own fixings for it?
According to the dimensions, the tank is a little more than 2 gallons.

NYFishGuy

It's about 2 gallons. I use this Tank Volume Calculator
Aquarium silicone would be used to seal it. if its metal you may have issues with rust.

reminds me I wanted to build something like this.

Repolie
I would just get the 5 gallon and you can turn it into a paludarium if you want. It has more room and more options of what you can do with it later on.

Advertisement

AnyaJ
It's about 2 gallons. I use this Tank Volume Calculator
Aquarium silicone would be used to seal it. if its metal you may have issues with rust.

reminds me I wanted to build something like this.

I loved that video! Guess who I am now subscribing to on Youtube lol. I don't quite have enough for the 5 gallon rimless yet, but am working on buying little things for it and researching what I need to do some major aquascaping. Like in my tank now, I have a couple plants (anubias nana petite, marimo moss ball, and water lettuce) and am trying to keep them healthy and thriving so that I have some starter plants for the 5 gallon. I've also added some extra sponges to hopefully get some BB growing on them to better start the Nitrogen Cycle in the 5 gallon once I get it.

I'm shooting to have it purchased by mid-September!

Until then, there is so so much to look into. I've heard things about laying down sand or dirt or a fertilizer to better help plants grow and maybe throwing gravel on top? And then I know nothing about lighting (the 5 gallon I want does not come with a lid so I get to jerry-rig one). Plus now I want to add a wooden base/edges to it? Lol I'm going to have my hands full!

This was another thought I had, I was debating on getting a female betta for this 5 gallon. I've seen that people have betta sororities in 20 gallon tanks, would it be possible to have a small sorority in 5 gallon? I was thinking maybe 2-3 bettas. I'm not sure how attached I am to the idea, but I wanted to ask around to get a feel of the community's opinions/wisdom.

Iverg1
Nope 1 betta for a 5 gallon with snails or shrimp that's all

BigManAquatics
This is maybe my pretty one
20180819_190720.jpg

ajoyfulbettta
I loved that video! Guess who I am now subscribing to on Youtube lol. I don't quite have enough for the 5 gallon rimless yet, but am working on buying little things for it and researching what I need to do some major aquascaping. Like in my tank now, I have a couple plants (anubias nana petite, marimo moss ball, and water lettuce) and am trying to keep them healthy and thriving so that I have some starter plants for the 5 gallon. I've also added some extra sponges to hopefully get some BB growing on them to better start the Nitrogen Cycle in the 5 gallon once I get it.

I'm shooting to have it purchased by mid-September!

Until then, there is so so much to look into. I've heard things about laying down sand or dirt or a fertilizer to better help plants grow and maybe throwing gravel on top? And then I know nothing about lighting (the 5 gallon I want does not come with a lid so I get to jerry-rig one). Plus now I want to add a wooden base/edges to it? Lol I'm going to have my hands full!

This was another thought I had, I was debating on getting a female betta for this 5 gallon. I've seen that people have betta sororities in 20 gallon tanks, would it be possible to have a small sorority in 5 gallon? I was thinking maybe 2-3 bettas. I'm not sure how attached I am to the idea, but I wanted to ask around to get a feel of the community's opinions/wisdom.

this is very very controversial but I believe you could keep a sorority (of 3) in a 5g. I unexpectedly rescued 5 female baby bettas (keep in mind they are siblings and have lived together their whole life) and atm all I had already for them was a 2.5g. they were in there for 5 days, and then I moved them to a 5 gallon for maybe almost weeks. no fighting at all, lots of plants and caves, and they made it through those two tiny tanks. I'm not saying it's smart but in my experience it has worked for a short amount of time. plus they were babies. now they are in a 10g, still haven't ever fought tho!

AnyaJ
this is very very controversial but I believe you could keep a sorority (of 3) in a 5g. I unexpectedly rescued 5 female baby bettas (keep in mind they are siblings and have lived together their whole life) and atm all I had already for them was a 2.5g. they were in there for 5 days, and then I moved them to a 5 gallon for maybe almost weeks. no fighting at all, lots of plants and caves, and they made it through those two tiny tanks. I'm not saying it's smart but in my experience it has worked for a short amount of time. plus they were babies. now they are in a 10g, still haven't ever fought tho!

Thank you for your honesty, I love the idea of a sorority, but I still may forgo the idea in a 5g. I'd like to have this 5 gallon for a while and won't be investing in larger tanks for a year or so. So I guess I'd rather not risk it and my 5g, at this point, is definitely not going to be heavily planted. I anticipate on moving 2 or 3 anubias nana petite, a marimo moss ball and water lettuce (in less than ideal health) into the tank and gradually aquascaping. So this tank will definitely be under construction for a while! I've finally set some time aside today to do the research into lights, filter sponges, plant nutrients and fertilizers. So hopefully by the end of today, I'll be informed enough to start making a shopping list of all the things I'll need

AnyaJ
Here's an update guys:

I just came back from my LFS and found some exciting new ideas for my 5 gallon rimless! It turns out, they have an alternative 5 gallon rimless for $50 instead of the $100 one I've been eyeballing so I'll be getting the tank within a week or two! I also found a tank with female bettas and Sumatran MinI Bumblebee Gobies. What's the consensus on bumblebee gobies and bettas? I'd love to have them with my betta in this 5 gallon rimless in the long run! Unfortunately, the bumblebee gobies are new to the LFS and they're in quarantine right now so I wouldn't be able to pick them up until next week.

I also came across something called Cholla Wood that the LFS claims to release tannins into the water. I think they're beautiful and a much prettier alternative to indian almond leaves. Do you guys feel like they release as many tannins as IALs?

Finally, I saw my LFS selling minerals (i.e. rose quartz, laprodite, geodes shards) and was wondering if this is a safe practice? I'm a big fan of minerals and would love to build a tank around them, but I feel the minerals can be sharp. Has anyone tried incorporating minerals of all kinds in their tanks? Also, since minerals have different softness and properties, do you guys feel any mineral would be acceptable in a tank? If there are some you'd warn against, can you let me know which ones and why? I have local mineral/geode stores I'd love to raid for my tank, but I don't want to do any harm to it, either.

Thanks in advance! I accumulated so many questions because I stayed in the LFS till they closed

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
Anonfish4
Replies
Views
DaniosForever
Replies
Views