New tank ideas

FishKingg

So I have been in the hobby for 2 years now and I have 3 tanks no including my QT. Two 30 gallon community tanks one mostly neon tetras,guppies,khuil loaches and some platies. My second tank is just cherry barbs Dalmatian mollies with a honey gourami and some corys.
Both have several plants and are doing quite well. Last tank just some cherry shrimp breeder.

I have been thinking about getting a cichlid 55 gallon. I love plants tho and community fish.My friends had a tiger barb 55 said it was fun but I really would like a cichlid or dwarf ciclid 55. I know there is a lot I can do but any opinions that can help me decide would be great!!

fallfever

Man, there are a lot of options there. You could do a group of African cichlids or mix blood parrots, rainbow cichlids, EBA's, firemouths, convicts, HRP's (not all of them) with dwarf cichlids to complement them. Almost too many options to list. Just an opinion, but I haven't found dwarf cichlids to be that interesting by themselves in that large of a tank, just too small. I'd start with what kind of cichlids you want, African or New World and start planning from there. Excited for you.

Upvote 0

FishKingg

Thanks so much I have heard from some people that Africans would be a good idea but that they can burrow and up root plants not sure if that was the Americans. I was also thinking of maybe an angle and apisto tank with a school of tetras like rummy nose tetras.

Upvote 0

fallfever

Cory is right about the angelfish tank if you want plants, and angels are cichlids. Africans need rocks and some of the New World cichlids will arrange the decor themselves. usually the larger variety. Rummy nose would be terrific with the angels (have done that) and apistos, and you could add something to the top of the tank like dwarf rainbows or hatchets (have a lid) to have activity at all three levels. Careful about a pair of angels as one can become dominant, if not a bully, to the other. They are picky about their partners.

Upvote 0

FishKingg

This sounds like a really good idea. Never kept angles but it seems pretty cool. I love corys and I have seen rummy nose tetras come in my lfs last week!! For the apisto tho would rams like a German blue or Bolivian also work instead?

and for a 55 planted how manyof all these fish u recommend maybe with some room to add more in the future? And I don’t have a lid and it’s an over the back filter so not sure if that works.

Upvote 0

fallfever

Bolivians are easier to keep, more hardy and have fewer temperature restrictions. And they are fun fish, just not as visually stunning as the GBR's. Bolivians can be kept with apistos, though you are getting a crowd on the bottom of the tank with cories, with at least a half dozen of them (I have 10, but they are my only bottom dwellers). Apistos are far more interesting as a pair and I'd suggest so are rams. You have room for an angel and 10 rummy nosed but you'd be completely stocked. Even then, I'd have two HOB's running to ensure plenty of filtration.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Bubba3474
  • Question
Replies
Views
Donovan Jones
Replies
Views