New tank - how many fish?

Becky

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here!  I've just bought a 43 litre (approx 10 gallon) tank and I'm currently on day 2 of my cycling.  I've just bought a master test kit for my water which I was going to start using in the next couple of days.  I don't plan on putting any fish in until my tank is completely ready but when I do I was wondering how many fish I could have? I only really wanted some neon tetras and maybe some danios but I don't want too many for my small tank.

Also, do I need an algae eater?  I know the plec is unsuitable cos of it's size but are there any other suitable, such as small catfish?

Many thanks for your help - any other tips much appreciated! 
Becky

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Becky! As you already realize, you are kind of limited with just 10 gallons. The general rule of thumb is 1 gallon per 1 inch of ADULT fish, so it's advised that you research how long fish grow to be. If you check out the Fish Species link on Fishlore's main page, you can get all kinds of info. Zebra danios grow up to 2 inches and are best kept in schools of 6 or more. That puts you at 12 inches with just the danios. Neon tetras grow up to 1.5 inches and are also best kept in schools of 6 or more. That would put you at 9 inches.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi! Glad your cycling your tank without fish - you fish will thank you!.  

As for how many fish you should go by 1" of adult fish per gallon, so if its a 10gall then you can have 10" of fish. Danios and Neons are shoaling fish so you'd need to get at least 4/5 each but then you'd be slightly overstocked. Maybe you could choose either the danios or the neons.  :-\ ??? If you wanted Neons you could maybe put 5 or 6 in there.

As for algae eaters otos are pretty good, im getting some soon for my tank. They stay pretty small too.

Hope this helps a little.

Gwenz

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don't have your heart absolutely set on danios or neon tetras, have you considered guppies? They are so beautiful, you could get two or three of those. They get up to 2 inches each, so if you got 3, that would be 6 inches. Cory cats get to be 2.5 inches, so you'd have room for one of those if you had 3 guppies, two of them if you had 2 guppies.

Becky

Reaction score
Hiya, thanks for your replies! I had my heart set on guppies when i got the tank since it is so small but I've been put off with realising how much they mate!! I don't want to end up with fry being eaten or not having anywhere to take them cos I can't house them myself. I love mollies as well but not sure how big they grow yet (need to do some research!) Might just stick to neons first and see how I get on with my water etc.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you were to get all male guppies they wouldnt breed.

Bonochick - corry cats don't eat algae. :-\

Gwenz

Becky

Reaction score
Thanks Gwenz, Do you know if male guppies fight with each other if there are no females around?  Knowing my luck I'd inadvertently end up with a female!!  P.S:  Like your pic of DW!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol thanks I love DW. No males won't fight each other. they get along fine. I have 5 males together, 4 died unfortunately, but i still have one and is doing great. They should do fine together. Males tend to have nicer colours too.

In my lfs they keep the males and females in seperate tanks. Maybe you could find a place that did that so u'd be sure to get all males. ???

Gwenz

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Gwenz said:
Bonochick - corry cats don't eat algae.  :-\
I just threw out the option of cory cats since she had mentioned the idea of having a small catfish.  I guess I should have clarified that those aren't considered algae eaters, sorry if I was confusing! Thanks for clarifying.

Becky

Reaction score
That's a good idea, when the time comes I shall go to a good stockist and hopefully get some good fish.  I can't wait to get them in there but I know I can't until my water is right.  I'm assuming it will take 2 to 3 weeks for the cycling to complete, any ideas?  I'm sooo glad I found this site, it is so helpful.  ;D

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
could take longer. what are you using to cycle?

Gwenz

Becky

Reaction score
This is where I show my ignorance! My tank has a built in crystal bio filtration with mechanical filtration 20ppi foam, Rena crystals and Bio chem stars!! I've added stress coat for the water and Stress zyme. I'm also adding a pinch of food to kick start the system. I can't pretend to understand everything at the mo, but I'm hoping the tank I have will help keep my water at the correct levels. ???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
To cycle your tank, you'll want to add fish flakes every 12 hours or so to keep things going. This is because the bacteria's life cycle is about 15 hours. Have you read:
The Nitrogen Cycle Document? It's a good help. We're currently cycling a tank fishless ourselves. We test the water every couple days.

I've found that many fish that like to have a certain number like 3 or 6, etc. can be happy when you have at least a couple. I have 2 Cory cats (3+ is ideal) in a tank, 2 Oto cats (3+ is ideal) and talked with someone who has 3 zebra danios (6+ is ideal) and all the fish seem to be happy and doing well. So I think you could get neon tetras or zebra danios if you wanted.

If you need algae control, oto cats would be good for your sized tank. (that's why we are getting them for our tanks) They only get to 2" and can be busy little cleaners as well as fun to watch.

Guppies get to about 1.5-2" and you could also consider the neon blue guppy that gets to 3" but is a very beautiful guppy. The all-males thing will work, but you can expect them to establish a pecking order at first and not be alarmed when they do.

Best of luck with your new tank, hopefully it will be cycled within 3-4 weeks.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my tank took almost 5 weeks look around there are some great discussiions on tank cycling methods and time frames. If i knew how i would provide the links but alas haven't learned yet. good luck
mojo

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom