New Tank Hood And Lighting Ideas

unangrybird

I got a used 55 gallon tank today. It had everything but the hood and lighting. I'm not 100% sure I want to buy a hood set-up. I've seen some neat tanks that had plants growing out of the water that I liked. What are my options? I've always had standard hoods with lighting. I plan to plant this tank. Not sure if I will do any gravel and may use sand and dirt. I'm not in a huge hurry to put up this tank. I have to prepare for the take down of the tank I have now and then switching everything over so that will need to be planned first.

bkimbark1

I use a glass canopy with a Marine land LED light on top. Really, all you need is a light that can sit on your tank, you don't even need a canopy. But if you are paranoid about your light falling into your tank, fish jumping out of your tank, or a bunch of water evaporation, I would go for a glass canopy with your choice of light.

unangrybird

I use a glass canopy with a Marine land LED light on top. Really, all you need is a light that can sit on your tank, you don't even need a canopy. But if you are paranoid about your light falling into your tank, fish jumping out of your tank, or a bunch of water evaporation, I would go for a glass canopy with your choice of light.
Do you have a photo of the top of you tank? I'm a bit paranoid of what would happen if one of my cats jumped on top of it. They never have with the hoods though.

bkimbark1

Do you have a photo of the top of you tank? I'm a bit paranoid of what would happen if one of my cats jumped on top of it. They never have with the hoods though.
I don't have a picture but the canopy is solid. It would be fine.

unangrybird

I don't have a picture but the canopy is solid. It would be fine.
Thanks. I'll look into those.

unangrybird

I wound up buying 2, 23 inch glass tops from PetSmart. They were on sale at $15.29 each and the manager gave me a 12% discount on top of that I ordered a 48 inch LED, PetSmart wanted $109 but Amazon had the same one for $62.99 (Aqueon). Now to make a stand! I think we are going with cinder blocks and plywood shelving. They're sturdy and you can sew up a curtain type apron for it to cover the stand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
altwitch
Replies