new tank help 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bigshane, Apr 6, 2010.

1. b

bigshane New Member Member

Hello my name is shane i just set up my new tank yesturday. its 30 gallon rectangle. i have a aquaclear 50/200 gph filter, 200 watt heater, and gravel.
    i did not put any decor in yet. i filled the tank then took some tap water into petco. the lady said that my tap water has clorine, chloramines and ammonia. she grabbed me a bottle of aqueon ammonia neutralizer. it says it neutralizer of ammonia, chloramines, and chlorine. i would like to know if im better off buying water from a store. will the neutralized ammonia start the cycle in my tank. if i do water changes with this water will i have nitrite and nitrate problems.
    water chemistry as of right now.
    ph 7.2 was closer to 7.8 used a ph buffer
    alkalinty 60kh
    hardness 75 gh
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 5
    ammonia fish store said .3
    i have 0 fish

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. upgrade

upgrade Valued Member Member

Welcome to, Fishlore!

From my understanding, it most about the filter media than the water itself. Tetra safe start seems to be working fine for me but you have to buy online and its a bit pricey

As for tap water i use prime and it works fine

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the site!

a fishless cycle is the best way to go. its easiest on you, and the fish. cycling with fish sets you up for failure because even if the fish survive, permanant damage has been done that will result in the fish getting sick down the road. a big part of success in fishkeeping is starting with good quality stock, and that means fish that havent been exposed to large amounts of ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

if you click on nitrogen cycle <-- you can learn about the delicate ecosystem youll be creating. what makes it all work is bacteria.

4. OP
    OP
    b

i wanna keep a simple community tank, my wish list is cory catfish, and a mix of tetras. i know tetras are sensitive and need low nitrates. thats why im worried about my crappy tap water im almost sure i wanna use a spring water. do you suggest any brands to test to see if its good for my situation.

5. Jaysee

Sorry, i cant. i use my tap water and dont alter the chemistry at all. if a fish cant adapt to my water, i dont keep them...i keep more than 30 species. i couldnt even tell you the pH.

i think you should work with what youve got and handle problems as they arise. its like getting an algae eater to control algae in a new tank. theres no guarantee there will be algae for them to eat. try your own water first.

im gonna review your post (im on a phone)

6. Jaysee

ah, see, i didnt read it right. most tap water has all that stuff in it. water conditioners like what you h ave and other products like prime work by neutralizing those toxins. in a cycled aquarium, the bacteria colonies consume the detoxified particles. in an uncycled aquarium, the chemical bond that made the toxins safe breaks, and they become harmfull to your fish. then you have to dose again. thats what cycling with fish is - doing large waterchanges everyday.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning BigShane and Welcome to Fish Lore!:sign0016:

I would like to recommend that you not use any chemicals to alter your pH levels. They are very unstable and can lead to a pH crash resulting in fish loss. Your pH level of 7.8 will be fine for the fish that you have listed. Most fish will adapt to the pH levels we have to offer right from the tap.

To get a more accurate pH level, fill a bucket of water from your tap. Add an air stone/supply line to the bucket and let it set for 24 hours and then test the pH.

Cycling without fish is the best way to go for the sake of the fish. Here is a link that you may find helpful:
    Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

Best of luck and please keep us posted.
    Ken

8. OP
    OP
    b

i think im gonna use the raw fish method.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It seems that your tap water contains .3ppm ammonia. Once your tank is cycled, this should not persent a problem since your bacteria should be able to process that ammonia.

I'm not familiar with the Aqueon product, but you need to be careful. There are two types of products that remove/reduce ammonia. Some eliminate it in a way that makes it unavailable to the bacteria you are trying to develope in order to have your tank cycle.

Other products (such as Prime and Amquel+) detox the ammonia, but leave it in a form that will feed the bacteria.

10. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

I just looked up Aqueon online and it looks like they have two separate products, a Water Conditioner (Removes Chlorine from the water) and an Ammonia Neutralizer (Changes Ammonia into a form that is not so toxic to fish). It looks like these are two different products.

It is normal to have Chlorine or Chloramines in your tap water. You use tap water conditioner to remove the Chlorine or Chloramines. I am not sure how the fish store rep identified how you have both Chlorine or Chloramines, but if you suspect that you have Chloramines, be sure that the water conditioner you buy states that it will remove chloramines on the label.

It sounds to me like your tap water will be fine, you just need to make sure that you are adding tap water conditioner to it.

Also, I agree with Ken on the pH. My tap water, and hence my aquarium, has a 7.6 pH, and so far my tetras and corys are doing great. The trick here is to do regular water changes so that you maintain a stable pH. Stability in pH is more important than the actual number so long as that number is not completely out of the ball park.

11. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Get yourself a bottle of prime to condition the water before you throw it in the tank,throw fish food in the tank daily or get yourself a couple of real hardy fish such as danios.Test your water every other day until you get through the cycle.Your tap water is fine with a conditioner!!!!

12. c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

Hi Bigshane,

I've had Buenos Aires Tetras for almost 2 months now, with a ph reading of 8.2.

13. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

Since your pH is on the high side, you will want to acclimate new fish slowly to get them used to any change in pH. Float them for at least an hour letting a little water in every 10 to 15 minutes. This way any change in pH is introduced slowly.

14. OP
    OP
    b

thanks for all the great tips!! the water in my tank is already starting to turn a little cloudy so i know the cycle is starting.

15. OP
    OP
    b

16. Jaysee

The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom, but not the kind you need....that will come later.

17. OP
    OP
    b

cloudyness went away and nitrites are at 3.0

18. OP
    OP
    b

update:saturday i got a few nasty Bio balls from a friends tank he has 2 fresh 3 salt. tranported in tank water added to my bio balls in my hob filter.
    sunday ammonia and nitrites near 0 changed 5 gal
    monday added prime. added 5 cherry barbs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice