New Tank Help 10 Gallon Tank

1. thenewbetta Initiate

Hello All!
    I just have a quick question, well actually there are 2.
    Anyways, Im about to get a new 10 gallon and its my cousins, their upgrading to a 30 G and thier tank has been running for a year and a half, to give me the tank, they need to take all the water out, but their filter is different than mine so i cant put my filter media in thier filter, (I probably can.. but i dont know if itll work out ok) and i want to make the cycling as fast as possible, :;fru so if i put like 5 gallons from my previous 10 gallon tank into the new one (my previous tank has been running for 1 and 1/3 year now) will that be ok, and if i scrape the the media of my tank onto their media, will that be ok? Thanks :D

AND

Im just wondering, are Swordtales good cyclers? Thanks :)

2. Beeker Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I would just take the filter cartridge and drop it in the tank. With the filter running, the bacteria will start to build up in the filter.

IMO, no live fish is a "good cycler".

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If it is possible, take some filter media from a cycled filter, cut off a portion, and add it to your new filter. It'll seed faster if it has some bacteria in it.

Beeker's advice is also good. The water won't help, as very little of the bacteria is free-floating. All you're really doing is transferring over a bunch of nitrates, so I wouldn't bother with that.

If you do the things that we've recommended, hopefully you'll have an instant cycle. You should be able to (slowly) populate your tank, keeping a close eye on the water parameters.

I agree that no live fish is great for cycling, because the process and the exposure to ammonia is so hard on them. But hopefully you won't have any, as your seeded filter should establish its own colony of bacteria very quickly, and will be able to handle a small bioload - just add a few fish at a time, don't overwhelm it, and you'll be fine.

edit: Please excuse my poor manners: welcome to Fishlore. We're glad to have you on board. :)

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Excellent information and advice above.

5. David C Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! Meenu gave excellent advice and I hope you have an easy cycle.

Dave