New tank help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fancy Fins, Jul 8, 2015.

1. F

Fancy Fins Guest

I want to start a new tank. I have a fish book I write in and I have about 10 pages of information to help me. I was wondering if you could give me more. I have a 13 gallon and I am going to add plans and fake small coral garden rocks and 3 African Dwarf Frogs, 3 male guppies, 2 snails, and 1 ghost shrimp.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

African dwarf frogs belong in a species-only tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    F

Fancy Fins Guest

But all the research I did was hat the guppies and snails were like extras and the ADF is the main pet.

Oh well, what do you think I should take out?:;thx

4. felix

felix Valued Member Member

Be sure to never add a female livebearer. I tried to keep three platies once but it didn't work.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I will grant you that you will often see them kept together in Pet Shops.
    However, I think that you will find that virtually everyone who has kept ADFs eventually chooses to maintain them in a species only tank, as they seem to do far better.
    I applaud your choosing to keep a notebook on your tank, btw, an old practice that does not seem all that popular today. I currently keep about 1,700 gallons of aquariums in all, each tank with its own little notebook--very handy for noting trends, or looking up care for species that I have not kept for awhile. All the best to you, rick

You might also want to use some caution when keeping your frog(s) with coral; ADFs have extremely sensitive skin, and coral is very sharp, as a rule.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    F

Fancy Fins Guest

thx, I haven't seen the coral in person so I will see if it is safe or not.

7. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

You could get a separate 10 gallon to keep the guppies, snails, and shrimp.

8. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

I've kept ADF with a few female betta. I used large river rocks that were smooth and too big to swallow. They also had many caves to hide in. Fast moving or nippy fish are never a good mix. I also fed the ADF by putting the food in a baby food jar on its side. They quickly learned to go straight for it to eat, and if a fish tried to approach they were chased off. I always fed the betta first. However, it's still risky. These particular females were very mellow. You'd need to be prepared to immediately remove any fish if they were bothering the frogs. I had other tanks I could move mine to so I gave it a try. If you don't, I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice