29 Gallon Tank New Tank! Help Needed With Community & Introduction Schedule

eirynne

Active Member
Member
Messages
168
Reaction score
127
Experience
1 year
HI all!
I have a 29gal high tank that I'm looking to stock with some tropical freshwater fish. I've had platy's and Molly's before so I'm hoping to avoid all live-bearers and also get some more unique/interesting types.

My thoughts were:
6-9 tiger barbs/green barbs/albino barbs
2 Bolivian Rams (or blue acara)
1 Cockatoo Apistogramma (or similar)
1 Paradise gouramI (or similar)

Does anyone see issues with this group or fish you would avoid / have instead? I ran it throughand the stocking % is ok & I will have enough filtration.

Also, what is your suggestion of introduction to the tank? I had been planning on adding the barbs first but recently read that this can increase their aggression in the long run & they should actually be added to an already stocked tank so that killed that idea!

Thanks all in advance!!!
 

Latrell

Active Member
Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
63
Location
Brooklyn New York
Experience
3 years
The tiger barbs are fin nippers so they gonna nip the paradise gouramI feelers...That's what I'm picturing atm...... the rams are compatible with the gouramI and I don't know much about apistogramma ... So I searched it up and the cockatoo programme looks so cool.... I gonna do more research on them.
But if u wanna stocking order go for the rams first then gouramI then apistogramma and lastly the tigers...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
eirynne

eirynne

Active Member
Member
Messages
168
Reaction score
127
Experience
1 year
Latrell said:
The tiger barbs are fin nippers so they gonna nip the paradise gouramI feelers...That's what I'm picturing atm...... the rams are compatible with the gouramI and I don't know much about apistogramma ... So I searched it up and the cockatoo programme looks so cool.... I gonna do more research on them.
But if u wanna stocking order go for the rams first then gouramI then apistogramma and lastly the tigers...
Aren't the apisto's so cool?! Love them!!!

Thank you so much for the stocking order suggestion! That all sounds good to me.

Re: the barbs: do you think I should choose one or the other? I was hoping that having enough barbs would prevent them from bothering the other fish but I definitely don't want the gouramI to be stressed by nipping.
 

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,241
Reaction score
5,346
Location
Wales, Uk
Experience
2 years
eirynne said:
Aren't the apisto's so cool?! Love them!!!

Thank you so much for the stocking order suggestion! That all sounds good to me.

Re: the barbs: do you think I should choose one or the other? I was hoping that having enough barbs would prevent them from bothering the other fish but I definitely don't want the gouramI to be stressed by nipping.
I tried a Dwarf GouramI for a short period with 9 Tigers, It seemed ok but around the 5th or 6th day I noticed a couple would break away chase and nip at the tail fins of the Gourami, so I moved him. I wouldn't recommend it honestly.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
eirynne

eirynne

Active Member
Member
Messages
168
Reaction score
127
Experience
1 year
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I tried a Dwarf GouramI for a short period with 9 Tigers, It seemed ok but around the 5th or 6th day I noticed a couple would break away chase and nip at the tail fins of the Gourami, so I moved him. I wouldn't recommend it honestly.
Really good to know! I think I'll drop the Barb idea then (because I'd rather have the gourami).
 

Latrell

Active Member
Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
63
Location
Brooklyn New York
Experience
3 years
eirynne said:
Really good to know! I think I'll drop the Barb idea then (because I'd rather have the gourami).
Maybe you can try black phantom tetras their as big as tiger barbs and will make your apistommes pop with them with the color contrast imo....but if u do think about get 5 to 6 of them ..Cause my ratio of my BP tetra I have is 4 females to 1 male ....yeah.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
189
Guests online
2,759
Total visitors
2,948

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom