New Tank! Help Needed With Community & Introduction Schedule 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by eirynne, Aug 18, 2019.

1. eirynne

eirynneNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi all!
    I have a 29gal high tank that I'm looking to stock with some tropical freshwater fish. I've had platy's and Molly's before so I'm hoping to avoid all live-bearers and also get some more unique/interesting types.

My thoughts were:
    6-9 tiger barbs/green barbs/albino barbs
    2 Bolivian Rams (or blue acara)
    1 Cockatoo Apistogramma (or similar)
    1 Paradise gourami (or similar)

Does anyone see issues with this group or fish you would avoid / have instead? I ran it through AqAdvisor and the stocking % is ok & I will have enough filtration.

Also, what is your suggestion of introduction to the tank? I had been planning on adding the barbs first but recently read that this can increase their aggression in the long run & they should actually be added to an already stocked tank so that killed that idea!

Thanks all in advance!!!

2. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Experience:
    2 years
    The tiger barbs are fin nippers so they gonna nip the paradise gourami feelers...That's what I'm picturing atm...... the rams are compatible with the gourami and I don't know much about apistogramma ... So I searched it up and the cockatoo programme looks so cool.... I gonna do more research on them.
    But if u wanna stocking order go for the rams first then gourami then apistogramma and lastly the tigers...

3. OP
    OP
    eirynne

eirynneNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    Aren't the apisto's so cool?! Love them!!!

Thank you so much for the stocking order suggestion! That all sounds good to me.

Re: the barbs: do you think I should choose one or the other? I was hoping that having enough barbs would prevent them from bothering the other fish but I definitely don't want the gourami to be stressed by nipping.

4. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +112
    Experience:
    1 year
    I tried a Dwarf Gourami for a short period with 9 Tigers, It seemed ok but around the 5th or 6th day I noticed a couple would break away chase and nip at the tail fins of the Gourami, so I moved him. I wouldn't recommend it honestly.

5. OP
    OP
    eirynne

eirynneNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    Really good to know! I think I'll drop the Barb idea then (because I'd rather have the gourami).

6. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Experience:
    2 years
    Maybe you can try black phantom tetras their as big as tiger barbs and will make your apistommes pop with them with the color contrast imo....but if u do think about get 5 to 6 of them ..Cause my ratio of my BP tetra I have is 4 females to 1 male ....yeah.