New tank - Help me set up

Fishingforlife

Hi Everyone.

I have got a 60L fishtank that I've had for years now, however I haven't used it for about 10 years. So now is the time to set up again.

Can someone advice me on the max amount of goldfish I can have in a 60L tank?

Also when I had it set up years ago, I had apple snails in the tank as well and they used to just eat cucumber. However I can't remember what species they was...

Also if I remember right, a fishtank needs to be set up and left a week before putting fish into it?

Thank you,
Paul

carloz209

If your going with goldfish they are about the hardiest fish out there so they can survive the nitrogen cycle and the new tank syndrome in my opinion. You must remember that goldfish if properly cared for live years and get to be huge! depending which kind of goldfish you getting they will grow to whatever size tank you have them in. So if you dont plan on upgrading i dont suggest you get no more than 3 goldfish for such a small tank. Also remember goldfish are cold water fish they dont need a heater and their water must be below 75 degrees.
Lastly goldfish are waste machines so you must have a filter rated for at least twice the size of your tank unless you plan on cleaning on a daily basis. Good luck

Fishingforlife

If your going with goldfish they are about the hardiest fish out there so they can survive the nitrogen cycle and the new tank syndrome in my opinion. You must remember that goldfish if properly cared for live years and get to be huge! depending which kind of goldfish you getting they will grow to whatever size tank you have them in. So if you dont plan on upgrading i dont suggest you get no more than 3 goldfish for such a small tank. Also remember goldfish are cold water fish they dont need a heater and their water must be below 75 degrees.
Lastly goldfish are waste machines so you must have a filter rated for at least twice the size of your tank unless you plan on cleaning on a daily basis. Good luck

Thank you. I've still got my old filter that worked fine last time because I had them for years.

carloz209

good luck and yea you could literally add them the same day you set up your tank just make sure your water is treated and the tank is not anywhere near a heat sources because goldfish dont like warm water.

FishBoy101

Hi Everyone.

I have got a 60L fishtank that I've had for years now, however I haven't used it for about 10 years. So now is the time to set up again.

Can someone advice me on the max amount of goldfish I can have in a 60L tank?

Also when I had it set up years ago, I had apple snails in the tank as well and they used to just eat cucumber. However I can't remember what species they was...

Also if I remember right, a fishtank needs to be set up and left a week before putting fish into it?

Thank you,
Paul
None, goldfish need a larger tank. They require 30 gallon fish tanks AT LEAST.

Betta02

I have two Black Moors in a 40 gallon. Also, check your breed of goldfish, mine do need a heater, I keep them at 76 F. Some of the fancy breeds like a bit warmer water. I would also do some research on the Nitrogen Cycle, then you can decide if you want to do a fish in cycle, or fishless.

FishBoy101

good luck and yea you could literally add them the same day you set up your tank just make sure your water is treated and the tank is not anywhere near a heat sources because goldfish dont like warm water.
That is wrong. You must do the cycling of the tank.

feeshi

I personally wouldn't put goldfish in a 60l (15g) tank. If I had to, it would only be one. Which is boring.
In a smaller tank water quality is not going to be good, it will have the 'soupy' effect that you often see in smaller tanks with goldfish. Goldfish are hardy, they can survive bad water conditions...and will live in a 60l but they are not going to look their best or be their happiest.
You could say, 'well I'll just do more water changes.' However, changing the water more often will dilute the hormone goldfish secrete in order to stay small, and they will quickly outgrow the 60l.
If you're looking for coldwater fish for 60l, there are tons of beautiful options (cloud minnows and danios are my favourite) and you could also keep a fair few of these smaller species.
Platies look incredibly similar to gold fish but are much smaller and come in a wide range of colours and will live at room temperature provided temperature inside doesnt drop below 18c (ideally 20c). (warning they do breed like crazy but will also eat their young)
You could also just pick up a cheap heater and look into tropical fish. Tons of options and combinations of smaller fish for a 15g. You could do a centerpiece fish like a (betta, gourami, ram cichlid etc) and a nice school of smaller fish (tetra, rasboras, danios) of your choice.
Best of luck.

Fishingforlife

I will defo look into them other fish then, do pets at home sell them? Has that is where I was going to get goldfish from.

PerfectSatyr683

I heard 1 goldfish per 30 gallons

Splunji

I heard 1 goldfish per 30 gallons
I heard about 10, but that was for fancy goldfish, particularly ryukins

PerfectSatyr683

They Grow 14 inches that is too big

PerfectSatyr683

No comet goldfish

Ryunkins get 8 inches

PerfectSatyr683

Yep

PerfectSatyr683

Yep fish boy and me are right that is a good rule to follow

barbiespoodle

I'm going to echo feeshi, goldfish are not the "easy" fish the are said to be and this is coming from a long time goldfish lover. It's just that they can take more abuse than a lot of fish, which does not mean they are happy, just surviving.

Now that my U.S.A measurements know that we are talking about a 15 gallon tank, I throw in some of my personal experience with what I consider a beautiful, wonderful fish.

For years I kept a pair of spectacularly beautiful oranda's, my fav goldfish in a 29 gallon. And this was with extra filtration and weekly water changes of 25 to 50%. Unfortunately I seemed to be jinxed when it comes to oranda's. I'll get them to the size of a orange and then they would do something stupid that kills them.

In your tank, if you want goldfish, then you'll want to go with one fancy like a oranda, black moor, basically one that has a round body. And you can add a couple cory cats or another small bottom dweller or a few larger snails like mysteries. And you'll still have enough room to decorate to your preference and have a lovely tank.

And please, cycle the tank more than a week if you are starting from scratch. You can lessen cycling if you are able to get a aged filter or water from a cycled tank. Even then, it still takes more than a week. Recently I started a new tank, only a 10 gallon, but I spent a month cycling it. And that was with adding bacteria, and using water from my other tanks for water changes. Two weeks into the process, I added a few guppies from my huge population in the big tank and even then I waited another 2 weeks for the tank to stabilize enough to remove the guppies and add the shrimp that I intended to be the tanks inhabitants. So worth the wait, the shrimp are now reproducing. I know it's not pleasant to have a blank tank taking up room, but in the end, it will be so worth it.

So start your tank, start getting it cycled and while that is happening, research, see what fish strikes your fancy, decorate, and plan. In the end, you'll be happy you waited when you have a tank that you end up sitting in front of and getting lose in the little world you created. Or at least that's what I do in my 3 tanks, just make sure you have a comfy chair in front of it

Fishingforlife

Can tetras and apple snails be in same tank?

Fishingforlife

Hi again,

Next week I am finally setting up my fish tank, however I'm no longer getting goldfish after the advice of how much room they need. So, this leaves me with more questions....

(1) Has I'm no longer going with goldfish, can you recommend a couple of different fish that are small and suitable for cold water tank and how many max I should put in to a 60L.

(2) My filter pump is a All Pond Solutions 200IF Internal Aquarium Filter, Now that I'm not getting goldfish, is this still suitable?

(4) Can someone advice me of how much gravel I need? My tank is 12" W, 18" L and 15" D.

I have been looking at White Cloud Mountain Minnow, however websites seem to say they bread easily, so not sure if they are a good idea has I would have no-ware to put the others.

Thank you.

Betta02

On the gravel I usually do 1 lb per gallon. I cant advise on fish for you, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Excited to see what you decide!

PerfectSatyr683

Yes but they normally eat the eggs

feeshi

(1) Can you recommend a couple of different fish that are small and suitable for cold water tank and how many max I should put in to a 60L.
- It depends on water changes. I'd do a maximum of 12 fish, with 40-50% weekly water change. Always start out small to see how the fish do and dont create to much work for yourself.
For minnows/danios you will need to start with 6 fish anyway as they like to be in a group.
Examples:
- 6 (white cloud or gold cloud/both) Minnows and 6 Zebra danio (long fin are especially pretty).
or
- 6/8 of either the above schooling fish with 4/6 variatus platys (buy them from the cold section at pets at home not the tropical, I'd also go for females as males can be boisturous) (variatus platy will drop fry, but with other fish they tend have a quick end)

(2) My filter pump is a All Pond Solutions 200IF Internal Aquarium Filter?
Its a little underpowered but not shockingly, you could use this and then upgrade to 300-400lph, they do them fairly cheap on Amazon, get one with a 'spray bar' spout as you can adjust i but short finned fish usually wont mind.

(4) Can someone advice me of how much gravel I need? My tank is 12" W, 18" L and 15" D.
Probs around 7kg, depends on length. I just get 5kg and add after if needed.

All the best.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Makalah
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
cyirra
Replies