New Tank.... Got a question..

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got a Newtank for my birthday and have a question. I am going to do a fishless cycle and need to know if I keep in the filters while doing this. Also have some bulbs for live plants and want to know when these can get added..??

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, definately get your filters running while your tank is cycling. That is where most of your bacteria will be - in your filter. I don't think the lights have anything to do with your fishliess cycle, and your tank lights can be turned on. Do you have live plants in the cycling tank? If so, I'd say to go ahead and use the lights you want now.

Parvath

Reaction score
Gunnie said:
Yes, definately get your filters running while your tank is cycling. That is where most of your bacteria will be - in your filter. I don't think the lights have anything to do with your fishliess cycle, and your tank lights can be turned on. Do you have live plants in the cycling tank? If so, I'd say to go ahead and use the lights you want now.
Gunnie u said " That is where most of your bacteria will be - in your filter." What do u mean by that? Are the filters that we use have bacteria in them?? If so what should be the procedure when you are replacing a filter (I assume replacing filters every 4 weeks is a normal procedure) !!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your filters, the gravel, plants and the decor in your tank is where most of the beneficial bacteria is.
Really you don't need to replace the filter pads every four weeks. Just rinse them in used tank water then put them back in. replace them only when they won't rinse out and water won't flow through them. Manufactures recommend you replace them so often because this is how they make money.
If you choose to replace them every two weeks- If their are two filter pads then only relpace one of them, then two weeks later replace the other. If there is only one pad, put the new pad in and cut a small piece from the old pad and put it with the new pad to seed it. HTH
Carol

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The beneficial bacteria lives in the filter media, not the filter material such as activated charcoal bags. HOB or "Hang On Bback" filters usually have a sponge and a filter bag. When changing the filter bag you do not change the sponge or 'media'. Only the little bag with the charcoal material is changed. That way, you do not lose the bacteria that ultimately conditions your water. If the water flow slows or barely flows, you take out the sponge media and rinse it in the water you remove from your tank when performing a water change. Never rinse it in clean tap water or hot water as this will kill the bacteria and never wring it out. Just swish it around in the water and put it back in place

Same thing applies to the bio-wheel type filters. You change only the charcoal bag. The wheel shouldn't get clogged.

I'm not familiar with the canister types.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom