New Tank for Zaboo!

KonaBoy
New Tank for Zaboo! - UPDATED pictures March 4

She's cycled and ready to go

For Christmas my friend wanted to give me another fish tank. So, a while ago, we headed to PetSmart to grab a 2.5 gallon for my Betta, Zaboomafoo. I found one, ($14.99) and was just about to leave when I decided to check to see if they had any male Swordtails in stock to put in my other tank. On the way there, I was glancing at other tanks when I saw a 10 Gallon for $14.99 I figured, "Well, I have the room, so why not" So here it is,

I put the glass looking stones on the bottom to help prevent him from tearing his fins (I would have bought more, but I was only planning on getting a 2.5 Gallon). I'm also working on getting a heater and filter, I also do weekly water changes. However, he doesn't seem as happy as he used to be, is he maybe just adjusting to his new settings?

LuvaBetta
If he was in a heated and filtered tank before, he'll have to do some serious adjusting. Did you acclimate him really well? Frequent water changes will help the quality of the water (you are using a good water conditioner like Prime or Amquel+ right?), but I'd recommend getting that heater as soon as you can. How warm do you keep your home in Thunder Bay Ontario?

You have a pretty setup, the glass marbles are great! If he holds on, he'll be a really happy boy in 10g.

Lucy
awwww...he's a cutie, congrats. What's his name?

It does take a little while for them to get used to having so much room. 10g....all to himself!

He might be cold, bettas are happier and healthier in warm water....between 78-80.

You've got a nice tank. I'd also give him some hiding places, so he can go chill out if he feels stressed. You can find the glass marbles at a dollar store.....much cheaper than the LFS.
Along with the filter, you'll need a lid, bettas jump.

Good luck with your new betta boy.

KonaBoy
Umm....he was in just a little bowl before I know, I had to right it I keep my room temperature at about 22 degrees, and he seemed fine in the smaller tank. I guess he's just getting used to it? It's been about a week now. I'm planning on going home this weekend to get some stuff to make a home and to make a lid.

chickadee
Even in 10 gallons ammonia will build up fast and weekly water changes is not often enough if he is not in a cycled tank. He is being left in toxic conditions of ammonia. I would say he should have a 50% water change (at least half the water changed every other day in a 10 gallon) every other day to prevent the ammonia from being too much for him. He was heated and filtered and now he is neither and no he is not going to be happy.

Do you have a test for ammonia? If so please check the ammonia level in the tank. I would say that you probably have toxic ammonia and it is poisoning him.

Rose

KonaBoy
My levels are good. He has never been in a filtered or heated tank in his life. He was in a 2 gallon bowl before. I'm planning on getting a heater and filter this weekend though.

Cory

chickadee
Your information is terribly misleading. You start your first post by stating that "she is cycled and ready to go". Nothing is cycled and cannot be with no filter or heater. The cycle is not even started yet.

I am so sorry but I cannot believe the levels in your tank are all right with weekly water changes and no cycle. Those of us who do have cycled tanks do weekly water changes and sometimes still end up with a tank problem. An uncycled, unheated tank is not going to remain in an "all right" position for a week without changing any water. Are you using test strips or liquid reagent tests? And instead of "all right" can we get the numbers on the test results please? It is now and will remain of course your choice what to do with your fish and I know that you are in the process of improving things for him but until he gets that cycled tank you will have to do more frequent water changes to replace the filters action with the clean water being added to the tank.

I would say that if "he has never been in a filtered or heated tank in his life" you have been very lucky up until now. You asked us whether he was just adjusting to his new surroundings and that might be why he was not as happy as he used to be, and he is probably just now showing the effects of the life he has had with no filter and heater. Bettas can live without them but their lives are considerably shortened.

Rose

KonaBoy
Your information is terribly misleading. You start your first post by stating that "she is cycled and ready to go". Nothing is cycled and cannot be with no filter or heater. The cycle is not even started yet.

I am so sorry but I cannot believe the levels in your tank are all right with weekly water changes and no cycle. Those of us who do have cycled tanks do weekly water changes and sometimes still end up with a tank problem. An uncycled, unheated tank is not going to remain in an "all right" position for a week without changing any water. Are you using test strips or liquid reagent tests? And instead of "all right" can we get the numbers on the test results please? It is now and will remain of course your choice what to do with your fish and I know that you are in the process of improving things for him but until he gets that cycled tank you will have to do more frequent water changes to replace the filters action with the clean water being added to the tank.

I would say that if "he has never been in a filtered or heated tank in his life" you have been very lucky up until now. You asked us whether he was just adjusting to his new surroundings and that might be why he was not as happy as he used to be, and he is probably just now showing the effects of the life he has had with no filter and heater. Bettas can live without them but their lives are considerably shortened.

Rose

Ok, I'm sorry I haven't been treating Zaboo right. I brought my water to PetSmart, and they said that it was fine to put a Betta into, and while I don't trust a lot of stuff they say, I figured that a test wouldn't be too hard to gety wrong, but apparently I'm wrong. I have some birthday money, so I'm going to buy a heater and filter. (I was thinking Visi-Therm Deluxe for a heater, not sure about the filter yet) Is this a good start to turning the page on Zaboo's life? Thanks,

Cory

luna
I don't know about the suggested filter, but I do know that the Visi-Therm Stealth (not deluxe) is the heater of choice. I don't know if it's still going on, but Drs. Foster and Smith were running a sale a few days ago when I ordered mine...

chickadee
There is a good heater for a betta. The heater is better than the Deluxe because the deluxe is a glass heater and while it has only happened one time, I had one break on me in one of my tanks. It splattered broken glass all over my tank and I had to throw away a lot of things in the tank to keep the fish from eating glass.

I would get a small filter that can have the flow adjusted that hangs on the back of the tank like a Penguin Bio-wheel 100 filter or a Whisper Power filter, but be sure that they filter at least 100 gallons per hour as this would be a minimum for a ten gallon tank.

Rose

KonaBoy
Okay, that one is only $3 more than the Deluxe where I'm looking, so I could probably "splurge" for it. Any suggestions on what to do for the water other than get a test kit and find out the reading? Sorry for my arrogance, I was just doing what I thought was okay for my fish, but apparently, that was not the best thing. Thanks again for you help,

Cory

Lucy
Cory,
We've all made mistakes, what matters now is you are asking questions, learning and taking steps to correct things.
Best of luck to you.

KonaBoy
Cory,
We've all made mistakes, what matters now is you are asking questions, learning and taking steps to correct things.
Best of luck to you.

I know, it just seems like I keep making mistakes, learning wrong things, and going backwards progress wise

chickadee
Cory,

You were just taking someone's word for it that you trusted. That is not arrogant. I am sorry if I sounded harsh. I just know how hard it is to lose bettas when you love them and I do believe you love you little, Zaboo.

PetSmart, Petco, and a lot of the pet stores do not think that bettas need to be in clean water and have heated tanks so they do not want to waste their time on them. I am sorry but if you had told that person it was a Gourami, or an Angelfish or any other kind of fish they would probably have told you that the water was needing a filter and heater and would have to be changed and cycled. They do not want to admit that the bettas need that too as it would mean that they would have to provide that for them in their stores and they do not want to have to as it would be inconvenient to have every betta seperated but still in a good tank. They tell people that the bettas live in mud puddles and can be in dirty water and it will not hurt them. They are wrong.

I lost 2 bettas last week who had lived in cycled tanks all their lives. They had the best of conditions and they still got sick and died. It happens with the best of conditions and how much more can it happen when the bettas are not in the best conditions. You are working towards getting Zaboo the best conditions, but until the cycle is complete he is going to need your help more than ever. He needs you to change the water every other day and take half of it out and put in fresh clean water to remove the things the filter is not ready to remove yet. You can do it and I know that Zaboo will be able to help by cheering up and being his old self again if he gets to feeling better.

We are all behind you and pulling for you both, we want you to succeed. Please do not feel bad about the past, what matters is the future.

Rose

KonaBoy
Cory,

You were just taking someone's word for it that you trusted. That is not arrogant. I am sorry if I sounded harsh. I just know how hard it is to lose bettas when you love them and I do believe you love you little, Zaboo.

PetSmart, Petco, and a lot of the pet stores do not think that bettas need to be in clean water and have heated tanks so they do not want to waste their time on them. I am sorry but if you had told that person it was a Gourami, or an Angelfish or any other kind of fish they would probably have told you that the water was needing a filter and heater and would have to be changed and cycled. They do not want to admit that the bettas need that too as it would mean that they would have to provide that for them in their stores and they do not want to have to as it would be inconvenient to have every betta seperated but still in a good tank. They tell people that the bettas live in mud puddles and can be in dirty water and it will not hurt them. They are wrong.

I lost 2 bettas last week who had lived in cycled tanks all their lives. They had the best of conditions and they still got sick and died. It happens with the best of conditions and how much more can it happen when the bettas are not in the best conditions. You are working towards getting Zaboo the best conditions, but until the cycle is complete he is going to need your help more than ever. He needs you to change the water every other day and take half of it out and put in fresh clean water to remove the things the filter is not ready to remove yet. You can do it and I know that Zaboo will be able to help by cheering up and being his old self again if he gets to feeling better.

We are all behind you and pulling for you both, we want you to succeed. Please do not feel bad about the past, what matters is the future.

Rose

You didn't sound harsh, you were just trying to help me, and I appreciate that a lot I will definetly try to change the water everyday (College is stressful, but I should be able to mange). A few other questions I hope you can help me with. Since he's already in the water, do I just put on the filter and heater when I get it? Another heater question, do I slowly up the temperature (like a degree or so an hour) when I put it in so I don't temperature shock Zaboo (after innitally setting it to the current water temperature)? Hopefully Zaboo will be happier after this, and thanks again so much,

Cory

COBettaCouple
Yea, you can add the filter and heater in when you get them. Don't plug them in until after setting them up in the tank and set the heater to 78F. It should heat the water up slowly for you.

A degree an hour is just right for raising the temp.

You didn't sound harsh, you were just trying to help me, and I appreciate that a lot I will definetly try to change the water everyday (College is stressful, but I should be able to mange). A few other questions I hope you can help me with. Since he's already in the water, do I just put on the filter and heater when I get it? Another heater question, do I slowly up the temperature (like a degree or so an hour) when I put it in so I don't temperature shock Zaboo (after innitally setting it to the current water temperature)? Hopefully Zaboo will be happier after this, and thanks again so much,

Cory

KonaBoy
Ok, I'm hitting up PetSmart tomorrow armed with a VISA and some new knowledge

chickadee
Sounds good. Good shopping and good luck with the cycle and Zaboo. I am really saying my prayers that all will go well for you.

Rose

KonaBoy
Sounds good. Good shopping and good luck with the cycle and Zaboo. I am really saying my prayers that all will go well for you.

Rose

Thank you so much for all your help so far, you're literally a lifesaver This weekend I made a top out of wood for his tank, a castle out of Duplo, and found a tank stand in my parent's basement that they said a 10 gallon used to be on Zaboo will think he's gone to heaven Any other advice on the cycle and what I should do? Or just add the filter and heater, frequent water changes and some luck? Thanks,

Cory

COBettaCouple
Did you get some Prime for treating his water with? Just keep things clean is the key. The cycle will happen, so you'll just want to do what keeps Zaboo safe while it's developing.

LuvaBetta
I've never tried it, can you take your water to Petsmart and ask them to give you the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate numbers when you test it? That way you know they tested it, and aren't just saying "it's okay". I've taken mine to our lfs and watched them do the tests.

You're doing great, Cory, asking the right questions and treating Zaboo like a beloved pet instead of just decoration!

KonaBoy
Well I'm heading to PetSmart tonight. I'll get some water conditioner in addition to the other stuff.

LuvBetta, that's what I did the first time, and they told me all my levels were good.

chickadee
Cory the only thing to hurry a cycle along with a fish in the tank is Bio-spira and I know that it is expensive and since I think you are not in the USA it may not be available to you. So you are right, the water changes and heater and filter and doing as Dave said and keep things clean while it is cycling. While this is happening we will be sending all the luck and hope and good wishes we can to you. We are here for you if you need questions answered and will try to be here to help if we can. Of course the work is for you but it will be worth it in the long run. I wish I could tell you that this was going to go fast but it can take a while. The only one thing that would make it easier would be if you could get a Master Test kit for Freshwater tanks so you could run the tests for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the water yourself and be able to watch the progress so you would be able to see it happening and know for yourself when it is happening and when Zaboo is in water that is safe for him.

Safe water is:

Ammonia not above 0.25 in the scale
Nitrites not above 0.5 in the scale
Nitrates not above 20 in the scale

When the tests say (before a water change):

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates less than 20

YOU ARE finished with the cycle.

Here is the type of test kit you need:

They have them at PetSmart and you can get them everywhere so I just am using this as an example for you. You do not have to get it there. I just did not want you to waste money on the strips for testing as they are not accurate.

Rose

KonaBoy
Well, I'm back from PetSmart

Bought a Visi-Therm Stealth (Holy Bananna's Batman, $40 ), a Elite Stingray 10, a Thermometer and a beer cup for a cave

The temperature is now at a balmy 79 (should it be higher?) and Zaboo is loving it He's swimming around all over the place, brighter colours, overall a much happier fish than he was before I added all this stuff I have been keeping up on the water changes also *pats on back* Here are some pictures, enjoy,

Thank you everyone who helped me

Lucy
The tank is looking good and Zaboo is a handsome guy!

KonaBoy
The tank is looking good and Zaboo is a handsome guy!

Thanks, he definetly became a lot more social with me too

chickadee
Very Good!!! You should be proud of yourself. I am sorry your could not order from as the heater was $18.00 in there. But I do not think that they ship to Canada and then the shipping would have taken time and money.

The tank looks very nice and Zaboomafoo looks like he is happy and healthy. It is a big improvement, huh? Doesn't act like the same little guy, does he? It is the water changes as well as the nice tank things. He is feeling better now that the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are being kept to his liking.

He is going to be fine and I can see that he is a happier fish than in the first pictures you posted.

I have seen that filter in action and it is very appropriate for bettas. He will do well with it and it is not too hard to do the maintenance on. Just rinse the media and replace it in the filter, don't throw it away. It can be reused until it falls apart. BUT rinse it always in tank water that you are taking out of his tank (used tank water) not new water or tap water or you will kill the cycle. When you need to change the filter media for a new one just be sure you don't throw the whole thing away at one time as you will need a portion of the old pad to seed the new one. Just run them together for a week to 10 days then discard the old one.

It is very nice and I am impressed. Keep up the good work.

Rose

KonaBoy
Very Good!!! You should be proud of yourself. I am sorry your could not order from as the heater was $18.00 in there. But I do not think that they ship to Canada and then the shipping would have taken time and money.

Well it was only $18 on the PetSmart website too, and I thought with the Canadian dollar being stronger, it would be cheaper, but alas, no Oh well, I wanna make Zaboo hapy Thank you all so much for your help

COBettaCouple
79F is right in the comfort zone for him.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sputnik
Top Bottom