New tank for betta?

1. kalexis1800 Member Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum.
    So I bought another tank for my betta about a few weeks ago. It's a Topfin 3.5 gallon with led lights and a filter . Before, he stayed in 1/2 gallon without a filter, and did pretty well. I used deer Park spring water and rinsed put his tank every 2 weeks.
    So how does using a filter work? His water appeared to be a bit cloudy when I turn off the LED light and I'm not quite sure what to do. [​IMG]

2. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the tank water's parameters ?
    Since it's such a new tank could be a bacteria bloom causing the cloudiness.

What kind of filter is it? A filter holds the majority of the bacteria in a cycled tank, it also helps takes out debris in the water. It will provide some movement in the water too.

Many times with a betta you will need to baffle the filter so the movement isn't too harsh just as a heads up.

3. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Also, a betta needs a constant temperature of around the 80F mark so unless you live in a country that is hot all year round, I suggest buying a heater.
    ~Mudkipz

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Look up the nitrogen cycle and read about it! It's the single most important thing in fishkeeping.

And grab a heater, and an API Freshwater Master Test Kit

The idea is that there are harmful things in the water, and you need to grow a colony of Beneficial Bacteria (BB) to process these things. The BB will grow in your filter over time and things will be a lot more stable but until then you have to monitor closely and watch to make sure things are going right. This is where your test kit comes in, with it you can monitor the quality of the water.

The filter is basically to host this colony of bacteria that filters out the bad stuff, and also to physically filter out gunk, which will build up in the filter over time, and you'll need to rinse the filter in old tank water during a water change. Don't wash the filter in tap water as that will kill the beneficial bacteria.

5. kalexis1800 Member Member

Thank you all for replying!Sadly, my betta died.
    I went to petsmart where the guy told me that spring water doesn't give the fish enough
    good chemicals, and he told me to use tap water, but make sure I use a water conditioner. I took out the old water and filled it with lukewarm tap water. I then added half a cap of the conditoner and waited 15 minutes. I had Oliver in his old water, and decided to put him in clean spring water since I didn't want dirty water in the tank. He was fine, then I put him in his tank. For a few hours he was okay. I noticed that he was moving with the current ( I put a baffle on it to decrease the flow). Then later on, I noticed that he started shaking and then fell to the bottom of the tank. I tried putting him in clean spring water again, he shaked for a bit then laid on his side.
    Honestly, I wished I just stuck to my original tank and used spring water. He did good then and I never had these issues beforehand.

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

My condolences. The forums are still here with plenty of help and information if you intend to continue in the fishkeeping hobby.