New Tank - Fish Recommendations? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kmmar87, Mar 25, 2010.

1. k

kmmar87 New Member Member

Hello everyone!

I am setting up a new tank. The only unchangeable features are that it is 29 gal. and freshwater. I've kept the usual beginners fish (tetra, danio, corydoras, etc.) successfully for about 5 years, but now I am now looking at "bigger fish" and don't know where to start.

I think I'd prefer to have 2-4 fish of a moderate size than the handul of little fish I'd had before. I want a group of fish that has a little more...personality...than my last tank had. At the very least I'd like fish that would appreciate live and/or frozen food.

After my visit to the local store, I was all for angelfish, but then I started the research on them and decided they had best wait until I have a larger tank. Unfortunately that left me back at square one.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi kmmar and WELCOME TO FISHLORE! :;hi2

In my opinion, a 29g would be too small for any moderate size fish you could think of. The only fish I can think of are Gouramies, Goldfish, or Cichlids. But wait for more response from other members. I'm sure they'll probably have more suggestions and ideas :) Best of luck! :;hf Hope to see some photos of your tank. We love photos here :D

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hey welcome to the site! you could get a pair of convicts. You could get a spotted ctenapoma. Goldfish have lots of personality.

You could get a large school of tiger barbs - while its a bunch of fish, theyt act like a single entity when they attack. Tiger barbs will eat guppies. I keep a crayfish in my barb tanks.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Kmmar and Welcome to Fish Lore!
    I hope you enjoy the site.
    Ken

5. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

Kribs are Good with most fish
    German Blue Rams
    Blood Jewel Cichlid
    Keyhole Chichlid
    Cherry barbs
    SAE
    All Are good Choices :)

6. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

X2 on the rams, defiantly have personality which is why I'm getting some for my 30g.

7. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

How exciting!!! Post pictures!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice