New Tank/filter

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
Almost two weeks ago I purchased two new aquariums, the 20g was running for a week and the filter stopped working, I took it apart, cleaned it out, put it back together and it still wouldn't work, so I made a trip to Walmart to purchase another I did take the plastic bio filter from the old one and put it in the new one, I also got a bigger one than what came in the kit. Yesterday I ordered an aquaclear 10-30 it'll will be here next week, my question is what should I do to set up the new aquaclear? I know my tank hasn't cycled yet, (I have test strips, my api master test kit is coming in the mail with my aqua clear) I have a betta, 4 guppies and two kuli loaches. When I get the new filter should I use the tetra safe start again? I'm not really worried about the guppies and betta, just the loaches, I don't want the amonia spike to kill them any suggestions?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When did you last use TSS? Was it TSS+ or TSS?

Let us know when you test, as the parameters can help us decide what the best course of action is for the new filter coming in (as the plastic biofilter may not fit easily into the new filter).

You have stocking issues as well, if you'd like to discuss them

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was TSS and it was when I first set my tank up, which would be almost two weeks ago, and sure you can discuss my stocking issues

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
Is my stocking issues that I only have two loaches? Or that I have a betta and guppies?

Another thing that could be important is, I have well water and don't use a water conditioner, I've been iffy about using one and don't mind using one if anyone has suggestions on that let me know

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dustinleephil said:
Is my stocking issues that I only have two loaches? Or that I have a betta and guppies
both those things your betta will likely turn on your guppies & loaches need groups of 6 to be happy

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
My betta doesn't seem too aggressive and I have a 5 gallon spare tank I can move him in if I need to, and wouldn't 6 loaches in a 20g be too many, and I've read that loaches are most happy in a group of 6 but do okay solo

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, these guys aren't okay solo, and a 20 gal isn't too small for a group of 6 kuhlis. If it were too small, that would mean that you don't get kuhlis at all, not that you get too few. They are stressed in small groups.

I would strongly recommend moving the betta to his own 5 gal now. The problem with waiting is that you may not notice any signs of aggression until you look into the tank and your guppies are already injured or dead, or the betta is missing his fins from the guppies bothering him. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
What are the signs of stress I should look for with the loaches? The pet store I got them from didnt have many more when I got these

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A lot of times stress is difficult to visualize - it manifests as an increased susceptibility to disease and a shortened lifespan. You may see them hiding more than usual. I would just get more as soon as possible. Ask the store to order more, and check with them on days when they get fish shipped in.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Forgot to add that we can't advise you on what water to use until your API test kit comes & you do the full suite of tests on it straight from tap including kH & gH... if you wanna know more before then ask your local fish store to test. bring in a jar of both your tank water & well water straight from tap.

well water is normally fine & often better than tap water. . but wells can sometimes have nitrates or ammonia or nitrites or sulfur or copper. don't stress, just test

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You'd want to use Prime because of the nitrites in your tap, not the nitrates.

The nitrates in your tap mean that you'll never really have low nitrates (unless you fill the tank with plants or run a de-nitrate system), but they're still manageable.

Your nitrites are very high in the tank though, and that's very toxic to your fish. I would do a large (50-75%) water change and dose with Prime.

When in doubt, do a water change. Especially when your test results are bad.

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
Just did 75% I'll check it when I get home from work and see if I need to do another, how long after a wc and prime should I check? Thats pretty close to 0 right?
IMG_20180509_135225.jpg

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can check right away - Prime doesn't remove ammonia or nitrites, just makes them non toxic for 24-48 hours. They'll still show up on the test.

That looks much better!

Since you're almost done cycling, I wouldn't add any TSS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom