New Tank Failure

Gary Lazzell

Reaction score
Hello, So i bought a 125 gallon aquarium and set it up in December 2017, I put an aquatop CF500uv canister with bio media & a 75 gal. HOB for extra filtration on it, i have driftwood, easy grow plant anubia, bannana plant, christmas moss, with sand substrate, i put 2 Bn pleco, a candy stripe pleco, about 14 neon tetras, a rainbow shark and 9 young angels in the tank, stable ph at 6.8, tds 150-200ppm temp steady 82-F no amonia, no nitrite, nitrates around 20 range, all was good until about a month ago and all my angels got what i thaought was ick, but they all died, i decided to give it another shot, i cannot keep my nitrates and amonia from jumping around all other parameters are good, got kit & checked kh/gh due to petsmart testing water and said alkalidity was low and water was hard, this should not cause my problems my ph never swings much from 6.8-7.2 is most i have found & not overnight, why will my fish die with stable water & not overcrowded all my small tanks are successful but my first large tank is failing any suggestions

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read this three times to make sure I’m not forgetting anything haha - something that I couldn’t see (maybe forgot to mention) - are you running an air stone at night in this tank?

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have a few stocking issues and temp issues. 82 is pretty warm for all those fish except the angels and a big problem is the Rainbow Shark. They are NOT good in a community tank. Ich is brought on by stress, so if your shark was stressing the angels they could have gotten ich, which will spread to other fish and kill everyone if not dealt with asap.

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah they might have all just died from ick. Although ick is very recognizable - are you sure it was ick? What did you do to take care of it?

82 is, as @DuaneV said, a pretty high temperature. If you raised the temperature to get rid of ick, it’s good (although I’d recommend put it higher - if it’s ok with your plants and other fish). Although that means you have less oxygene - which is why I’m asking about this air stone (air stone also necessary to be running at night when your plants will reverse photosynthesis and generate c02 that might just kill your fish).

Gary Lazzell

Reaction score
The rainbow is very small & really minds his own business, lots of rocks plants he stays inor around, i run a i think its 14" airstone all the time, yes i kept high temp to prevent issues with ick, it was white fuzzy spots so thinking a fungus, i get a white fuzz on my driftwood, but have been told its harmless,

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ick is definitely not fuzzy so yeah it might have been fungus - which is also easily treatable with medication.

Gary Lazzell

Reaction score
Is RO/DI a good path. I have seen good & bad and seems like a lot of work & $ to remineralize etc. The water here is sooo hard

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well that’s the thing - you have to remineralize the water - and in the long run it’s not really financially ideal. Your ph is stable enough - I don’t think the issue is here. Most freshwater fish adapt well to harder or lower Ph. It’s the ph changes that hurt the most. What’s the ph coming out of your tap?

Gary Lazzell

Reaction score
Something I did not mention, only the angels have had any signs of the infection all the others are still fine, thats what made me seek help is i had put in another angel in tank with no signs of strees they eat fine until i see spots a day or two later they are swimming funny and bam they are deadand he has the spot now as well, feeling like im just to evil to keep angels

Gary Lazzell

Reaction score
skllkd said:
Well that’s the thing - you have to remineralize the water - and in the long run it’s not really financially ideal. Your ph is stable enough - I don’t think the issue is here. Most freshwater fish adapt well to harder or lower Ph. It’s the ph changes that hurt the most. What’s the ph coming out of your tap?
Its lower like 6.5 or so, i add buffer to get it to 7 before adding

skllkd said:
Did you quarantine your angel? did they come all from the same place? Did you buy them together?
I got seven from Live Aquaria.com the others from petsmart, all seamed happy & healthy for first month and then same issue, i rotate foods, flakes, brine shrimp, bloodworms, i have spent lots of time to get it right for the angel tank and dunno

skllkd said:
Did you quarantine your angel? did they come all from the same place? Did you buy them together?
I did not, they all had it quick and i did not have empty tank to put them in and took like 2-3 days from first sight to last breath, watched several youtube vids talked with couple guys at petstores no real answers that help for now i am letting it be and will do water changes as often as I can to cycle out the issue the tank just looks empty without them everything in it is small

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom