New Tank [emoji1430]

1. Leann

Leann Valued Member Member

Looking for stocking ideas, in a perfect world I'd have both

Koi angelfish
    Umbrella cichlid pair/trio (apistogramma borellii)
    Schooling fish

Looking for advice or numbers? This would be my fist time purchasing angelfish and I'm NOT looking to breed, if it happens it happens, but not my intention. I know that angelfish are a cichlid so I'm hoping to keep a dwarf cichlid or cichlid pair/trio with them, again not looking to breed.

401dd77e97dc02960c5ed0f3c8a46819.png

Edit: it's a 54 gallon bow front corner aquarium with a very large canister filter already up and running on my 56 gallon column aquarium

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you provide the dimensions? Might be a bit tight for an adult angel, but it's better than a column tank.

There's not a lot of overlap with angels and that Apisto species. Would you consider another one?

You could do:
    1x Angelfish
    2-3x Apisto cacatuoides
    10x Rummynose (or another warm water schooler)

3. OP
    OP
    Leann

38 x 27 x 22

The Borellii is my favorite, I may look into another species, but both are peaceful right so I'm not sure if there'd be any large issues?

Do love the rummy's!

4. TexasDomer

I meant there's not a lot of temperature overlap, sorry for leaving that out. So that's the issue. Not behavior.

5. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

Also, cacatuoides are very forgiving to hard water (Angels can be as well). Do you know if you have hard or soft water? Another neat one is Apistogramma trifasciata. Oddly I am remembering the Borrelli as having a huge temp range down (in the wild they can live down into the 40s F). Most Apistos seem to like mid seventies, and higher temps noticeably shorten their lives. Personally I like to many of them lol.

So as a note on Apistogramma... they always seem to get more colorful in breeding dress, so sometimes females are nice in the tank... but they can also cause small wars.

6. OP
    OP
    Leann

I have hard water, not sure the exact number, I'd have to look at home. I guess I'm seeing around 77 degrees for both species. I was more concerned about temperament and mixing males and females of either species

7. TexasDomer

Tank bred Apistos should be fine in your water.

As their extreme upper end is 77 F, I wouldn't keep them above 75 F. You don't want to keep fish at their extremes either.

Apistogramma borellii summary page