New Tank Driftwood Issue

Lentosh

Reaction score
Hi there, am new to the site and trying to learn as much as possible!

I recently got a fluval 2.6 gallon (spec 3) (small I know) - I'm using the original filter, took out the carbon and added more ceramic rings, I put a little Hydor Theo heater in the back, the substrate is fluval stratum and I've added marina mopani driftwood, java fern and anubias barteri. I used 40% water from my other tank and 60% new temperature-matched water with some tetra aquasafe.

I added the substrate, plants and driftwood yesterday, it looked great! Now there's this white misty stuff on the driftwood - I've seen green and brown algae before...is this new algae? What can I do to sort it out?

I read that driftwood can leak tannins into the water and turn it brown, that a way to avoid this was soak it for a long time and boil it to get tannins out - so I did boil it on and off for 3 days and change the water around (my boyfriend thought I'd gone mad when he saw driftwood on the hob!) - have I ruined it somehow, overcooked driftwood?

There are no fish in there currently, I have a test kit on the way - should be here on Monday. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's just a fungus that grows on new driftwood, do not worry it's harmless.
You can allow it to die off in a few weeks or boil it to remove it.

Lentosh

Reaction score
Oh great, thanks!

Can you foresee any problems with the tank I've set up? I've never done a planted one before and would really like to make it work!

Lentosh

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! No stock yet - am open to recommendations? I'm tempted for a Betta after all the hype...

How would I fix the pH if the driftwood and stratum lower it too much?

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lentosh said:
Thanks for the replies! No stock yet - am open to recommendations? I'm tempted for a Betta after all the hype...

How would I fix the pH if the driftwood and stratum lower it too much?
I used crushed coral to regulate mine. I replaced the carbon with coral in the media compartment.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom