New Tank!!! Dreams do come true

1. Heather12404 Member Member

So I finally convinced my husband to let me get another tank. I'm upgrading my 29G to my brand new 60G!!!!!!
    The new tank is: 48" long, 13" wide/deep, and 24" high.
    My questions:
    1. Is my AquaClear 70 enough filtration for this new tank?
    2. Should I get another AquaClear 70 or 110 in addition to my current filter?
    3. How do I go about moving everything and everyone from the 29G to the new tank?
    I'm mainly talking about all the gravel from the 29...do I take out all the fish and then the gravel, or do I move the fish last and attempt to take out all the gravel with the fish in the tank?
    Sooooooooooooooo excited about this new tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I think taking the gravel out with the fish in the tank seems like a hassle and a risk for injury/stress. I don't speak from experience (I've never moved fish AND substrate, etc), but personally I would (depending on how many fish you have) set up buckets and put the fish in the buckets. That way you can quickly move the gravel over and refill the tank without worrying about fish getting in the way.

Hopefully someone who's done it can give more specific advice. Congrats on the new tank!

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

When I upgrade using all the same stuff from the old tank, I remove the fish and decor, then net out all the gravel to the new tank, then 1/2 the water gets moved over, then the decor, then the rest of the water and new water, then the filter, and then, after things have settled down for a while, the fish.

4. Heather12404 Member Member

Thank you so much for the replies.
    So what about my filter? Is that enough for a 60G tank, or should I get an additional filter as well? It's better to be over filtered than under filtered correct?

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

As long as you aren't adding new fish before you get another filter, I don't see why it wouldn't. Just keep up on your water changes, and keep an eye out for a good deal :)

6. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i think you need more filtration. i mean how could you *not* want to add more fish?! i would add either another type of HOB, or just go with a canister. at the very least you could add a sponge filter...that would be beneficial if you can't spend a lot on a second filter at this time.

glad you got a new tank! maybe you should keep the 29 set up too? and have both ;)

7. iRun Member Member

That's what I was thinking...2 tanks!! If you're only going to run the 60, you must have massive willpower.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Congradulations on your new tank. I have moved a tank from one to another on several occasions. I catch all my fish and put them in a temporary holding bucket and I simply moved everything over unwashed. Then I move over the filter, added a filter and filled it up. I use Prime in case of any trouble with spiking because to the move. I let it run for a while, not too long as I have fish waiting, and then transfer the fish into the new aquarium. This has worked for me several times. I am sure someone else has a better method, but this one has worked for me.:p

9. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I did the same a 29 to a 75 I bought some new gravel and a new filter. I filled the 75 about
    3/4 up with water and treated it for a day. Than next I put in my heater new filter and gravel in and let them run for a day. Lastly I moved my fish to a bucket. Then moved the decorations in than the fish than the old water. I threw all the old gravel out and since I had a new and old canister filter I mixed up the media so both flters were cycled. I added fish 2 days later and never had a spike

10. Heather12404 Member Member

I was planning on getting another AquaClear filter....one for each end of the tank. I figure too much filtration is better than too little. Of course I want to add more fish...duh! But I also do not want a crowded tank....like my 29G turned into. It doesn't look crowded, but it certainly looks full. I'm a believer that if you have a pet you should spoil it....so I want to spoil my fish by giving them a ton of room to swim. If you have to live your life in a box it might as well be a big box.
    My betta has a 10G....I would say that's a luxury suite for a betta.
    I already have 2 tanks: 10G and the 29G. So I'll end up having the 10G and the 60G. I'm planning on selling the 29G and stand.

11. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like a sound philosophy to me :) I'd love to get a canister filter, they're supposed to be much more effective than HOBs (unfortunately they're also much more expensive). I don't think there is such a thing as "too filtered" as long as your fish aren't bothered by the current.