New Tank Diy Stand Height

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, got a nice deal on an 80 gallon shallow so it looks like I'll be upgrading from my 75 gallon.
(75 is technically the max for my apartment but I don't think anyone's going to notice 5 gallons and technically this spreads the weight way more than the 75 due to the footprint.)
48"Lx24"Dx16"H is the new tank
So it's super shallow and has lots of room for my plants and for aquascaping (as if I had the eye for aquascaping)
I will be making a DIY stand as it does not come with one, it's a funny size, and my boss has leftover lumber from another project he was doing. Because its donor lumber its 4x4's and 2x6's so its extreme overkill.
My question is this: because it is such a shallow tank, viewing height is critical, what height do you guys think would be best?
It will most likely be viewed while standing but I'd like it to still be low enough that if we rearrange it could be viewed whilst sitting.
Another consideration is that my CO2 tank with regulator is 28" tall and I'd love to squeeze that under the stand... that being said, I'd like if I could fit a drawer in as well along with the doors so that I can put my food, etc. there.
So in the stand would be:
Fx4 filter, CO2 reactor, and CO2 tank with regulator set up.
And in the drawer would be food and various doodads.

My current stand for my 75 gallon is at about 27.5" and it's a little low for viewing while standing. I'm 6' even if that helps your consideration.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would build it to make the top of the tank chest high. That way you can still get your arms in it.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's a good call! I don't want to have to break out a step ladder to clean the tank.
Maybe I could measure from the floor to my armpit, remove 2" for comfort and make that the top of where the tank would be.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom