55 Gallon Tank New Tank Dilemma (No time to Cycle!)

swat_leader
hey everyone, I just bought a used fish tank yesterday 55 Gal from someone that was fully established but to transport it the guy drained out all the water and everything I have read up a lot about the nitrogen cycle and everything but included with the deal were fish, 2 8" Oscars, 1 Father 5" Red Devil Cichlid and his 7 kids which are about 3 inches long, I transported them all home in a 10 gallon tank and I setup the 55 gallon with new water and left it for a day before I threw them in today, I really wanted do a good and proper cycle, but to keep these fish alive I felt the only way was to put them in this new uncycled tank but the ammonia levels are off the roof and the tank is really cloudy already, I have considered even donating them somewhere but what would be my best options to help them get through this? I so far out in "aqua safe" and AMQuel+ and plan to do that every 24 hrs as instructed, I have a fluval 305 filter with the old filters so hopefully there was some bacteria still and I put in 3 containers of carbon and 1 container of those white rocks, so please if anyone can help please! thank you all in advanced!

jetajockey
welcome to FL swat_leader!

The tank is definitely overstocked, I would go ahead and figure out which ones you want to keep and which ones you can let go, I would probably keep a lone oscar in a 55.

Hopefully, if the substrate was kept damp, and the filter was damp, then some bacteria may be fine, it just depends on how/how long it was taken down.

I've put many fish into uncycled tanks, the key is to stay on top of water changes if necessary, keep testing the water and take appropriate measures.

You could also go with a bottle of tetra safestart, or a pre seeded 'active' sponge filter from angelsplus. I've had good results from both.

Best of luck!

Tigerfishy
Welcome, glad to see you want to do well by the fish!
OK, so you have 2 options:
1. Daily water changes with Prime or your Amquel+ until cycled (If you don't have a test kit, we recommend the API Liquid Freshwater Master Test Kit, much more reliable than the strips!). Cycled is 0 ammonia, 0 NitrIte, and under 20 NitrAtes.

2. Get some Tetra Safestart, here's a link about it, I have used it and it works, just folloe the link instructions exactly: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Nick G
HI Swat_leader, Welcome to Fishlore! Great advice above. I'd probably lean towards the Tetra Safestart if possible, as those fish are going to be producing a huge amount of waste, and massive waterchanges will be required otherwise. I'd recommend keeping only one of the Oscars, or the Red Devil, as otherwise the large Red Devil will kill all the other fish in the tank as it grows bigger.

swat_leader
o wow, thank you all for the fast replies! what a great forum, 3 replies in about 10 mins! but so I guess ill be having to get rid of these fish, how do people usually get rid of unwanted fish? I think ill just plan on making a post on craigslist to see if anyone wants to pick them up or something, so my gameplan will just be to fill 10 gallons worth of water in buckets and add aqua safe to it? so by tomorrow it should be ready to be put in the tank during the water change correct? Ill just see how all this goes for now then until I find a way to humanely let go of some of the fish thank you all again, and I'm also still open to suggestions, is there any other type of media I should put into the filter? thanks!

Tigerfishy
You can use craigslist for that yes! Also you can just dechlorinate water and add it immediately. I would maybe do between a 50 & 75% change, so no need to do all 10 gals, hope that makes it easier! I for one would avoid transporting 20 Gals for a water change, 10 there and 10 back, nah!!

Just add your AmQuel+ and add the water, hopefully you find good homes for the fish.

EDIT: SOrry forgot the bit about the media. No need to add any more per se, but I always kep spare sponges inside my filters so that I have more surface area for bacteria, and it also means I have spare sponges if I need to set up a tank immediately, like a Quarantine tank for example! So there;s no harm in adding more media, but not strictly necessary.

swat_leader
awsome! I'm planning to do about a 20% water change daily starting today so hopefully it it will slowly start getting better, it seemed that my tank got really cloudy as I started puttin in my gravel before I put the fish in as well, should I put in some fluval polishing pads in my last 2 compartments to hopefully clear the water a little more and let more bacteria live there as well? thanks!

LyndaB
You've been given great advice above. And yes, you'll find this forum to be most helpful, especially when you're open minded enough to want the best for the fish and absorb any information given.

Welcome to the forum. I hope all works out well with your tank. Your fish will be lucky to have you as their fishkeeper.

swat_leader
awsome, thank you everyone for the great replies, I have been changing my water everyday since I got it and it seems to be getting better, some of my red devil cichlids developed some black spots from the ammonia I believe but I got an API nitrite and ammonia tester and they came out good for both, I am curious though why my water is still a yellowish tint though, I think some of it came from when I put in the gravel, can that be the situation? thanks again! also, I still plan on getting rid of most these fish, I just wanted them to be in a little better condition before I got rid of them.

swat_leader
Also, today I just realized since I was about to put the rest of my gravel in that it might be the cause of what's making it cloudy, the water in my kind is a little bit yellow right now and I tested the pH level and its over 7.8 I believe this is because the gravel that was given to me was Crushed Coral so should I start taking it out and replacing it with another type of gravel? any reccomendations? thanks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom