New Tank -- Danios nipping like crazy

1. Paul1978 Initiate Member

Hi,

New to the hobby and love the website/forum. I set up a 29 fresh. trop. tank two weeks ago and had it running, then I introduced six zebra/leopard danios to the tank to help the cycle. Everything is pretty much ok except for the danios nipping each other's fins incessantly. I thought these fish were docile? Any suggestions? My pH is 7.2 with Ammonia 0 and Nitrates 0 (approx two weeks running). Thanks

2. chris02_84 Member Member

Most people are not aware that the zebra danios' hyperactivity is actually a sign that they are slightly aggressive. They are schooling fish, and if they are not kept in sufficient numbers, then their schooling behavior will mix with their aggression and lead to fin-nipping and even attack on tank mates. A good school size for zebra danios is a minimum of five fish, with a preference for nine or ten. If you watch a well housed school of danios, you will quickly see that the males will occasionally display fight. It is this behavior that translates to aggression and fin nipping when they are improperly housed.

Peter McKane
    aquarticles.com

3. Paul1978 Initiate Member

Thanks for your help Chris....have six danios now and would like to keep it at that number. Later on, after a cycle...would a pair of dwarf gouramis, some corys, and maybe one more type of small fish be ok with the danios (not all these fish at once of course)? Thanks for your help

4. chris02_84 Member Member

don't know i don't have any of those fish except for danios

5. vin Well Known Member Member

You can check the compatibility chart on this site for the species you've listed..... http://www.liveaquaria.com .

Also, because you are cycling with fish - it will take longer than normal. Be sure to do DAILY water changes of 30% to help keep ammonia and nitrites in check. This will also take some of the stress off of the fish. It's also important to monitor your water parameters daily while in the cycle and avoid the temptation of adding chemicals other than a dechlorinator to your water. They will only give you fits in the long run. You should be monitoring Ammonia, pH, Nitrites and Nitrates. Keeping in mind that ammonia and nitrites are the two most toxic chemicals to fish.

What type of test kit are you using? Strips or liquid?

Oh, and Welcome to Fishlore!

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

If you are ever going to set up another aquarium, check into doing a fishless cycle, thus saving the fish from the stress of high Ammonia and Nitrite levels. Make sure to monitor your water closely. Good luck with your new tank!