55 Gallon Tank New Tank Cycling

bolivianbaby
This may seem like a silly question, but I have an idea:

I run two filters on both of my 20 gallon tanks and both of my 29 gallon tanks.

When I start the fishless cycling on my new 55 this weekend, I was going to remove one filter from two of my tanks to assist with the nitrogen cycle and just replace the filters with new ones.

Is it better to pull the oldest filter or the biggest from each tank? I'm not pulling a filter from the aquarium that's dealing with ich.

Also, the 20 gallon convict tank that came cycled was set up on June 26 of this year. Should I consider taking one of her filters or not?

Please advise on the smartest way to do this. I have so many options, I just don't know the right one to do.

Thanks you guys!

Shawnie
you are just a bundle of nerves aren't you

taking any media and such from a tank, always could cause a minI cycle....you are reducing the bacteria that has built up for the bioload of the fish...but a minI cycle usually doesn't last very long nor will it always go into a minI cycle....with that said, if it were me, id take a filter from the 20 gal and the 29 gal as well as a few decorations, add to the 55 gal with a few fish ......adding ammonia might be too overpowering for the media as you don't really have that high of concentration in your tanks now....then id keep an eye for 2 weeks on all the tanks...or find a nice bottle of TSS for the new tank and add that with some fish....but no matter what way you choose, the good thing is you have the knowledge and the comfortability to try anyone of them...

ynaggo
If you have similar filters you can use filter media instead of the filter itself, in my opinion it doesn't matter which filter you use as long as the tank is cycled but if you want faster results use the bigger filter media as it has more room for Bacteria to grow so thus has a bigger colony,

Hope this helps

bolivianbaby
Shawnie said:
you are just a bundle of nerves aren't you

but no matter what way you choose, the good thing is you have the knowledge and the comfortability to try anyone of them...
That's because of you guys

Since you mentioned adding a few fish, I'm going to get cracking on what I want in there so I dont' screw up my stocking! I found the thread here on setting up and stocking cichlid aquariums, so I'm going to thoroughly research that. Hopefully, I won't have too many questions, but I appreciate you being here to answer them if I do

Shawnie
that's the amazing thing about the site..theres always members willing to help and assist in anything they can...it builds amazing friendships and most of the time its free of charge hahahha

bolivianbaby
That's for sure! You guys saved the lives of the fish in that "uncycled" 20 gallon a few months ago.

I was watching your "breakfast of champions" video a few minutes ago to simplify my research for compatibility, etc.

What I'm thinking for the 55 are-
Red Zebras
Yellow Labs

And three more that I don't know what they are-could you tell me?

The blue and black striped guys-what are they-they were feeding in the "pack", not the bottom.
What are the white guys and the pink guys in the video?

How many "groups" can I keep and how many in each species group?

SteveAngela said 12-15 fish, but I want to make sure I get my stocking on target.

Thank you!

Shawnie
I wish I could be of help with stocking..but if you look in the african section, I'm so NOT one to give advice in that area...ask me about SA cichilds or community fish, and I'm ok on that, but africans, I'm as new as you are...half of the fish in my tank I have no clue the names let alone the sex of them....I can name a few as ive asked around here and got the answers...my tank has broken all the african rules and I think because their are so many, and the fact that they are fed 4 times a day, is why I have no issues...

heres what I can help with so far tho....

blue black ones are either demasoni, cobalt blue zebra,
white ones are albino or snow white socolofi
the pink ones are types of peacocks

asking either angela or missMTS would be better than me with stocking...ive broken all the rules on that area (or my bf did!)

bolivianbaby
Thank you so much!

I'm going to research each of these species individually and then check with missMTS and angela for confirmation.

I really appreciate your help!

This has to be my last tank. I promised my daughter the last remaining wall space for "her" third tank, which will be tank #8 in the house.

She's already named the african cichlid tank the "Fishieval Times" tank.

Shawnie
bolivianbaby said:
Thank you so much!

I'm going to research each of these species individually and then check with missMTS and angela for confirmation.

I really appreciate your help!

This has to be my last tank. I promised my daughter the last remaining wall space for "her" third tank, which will be tank #8 in the house.

She's already named the african cichlid tank the "Fishieval Times" tank.
we always say "its the last one!!" goodluck keeping that promise haha

I so love her name of the tank and its definitely a fitting one
there are plenty of members here to help and I'm sure they will be more than willing...I'm excited for you both

Sharkitty
Total lol at Fisheival Times. How old is she?

kloseo
if you don't want to move the filter from the two tanks add the same size filter to the new tanks and just move the old biowheel over to the 55 gallon and put the new biowheel on the old filters, if you remove the smaller filters, you are less likely to put your already cycled tanks in a minI cycle, leave the larger more stable filters on the old tanks

bolivianbaby
Sharkitty said:
Total lol at Fisheival Times. How old is she?
She's 11. And she's as sarcastic as I am.

Kloseo,

I may try that.

Thanks to all for your support and excitement and advice. I'll post pics soon!

Latest threads

Top Bottom