New tank cycling? Question 

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank has been up and running for about a month, it's a 235 gallon it was seeded with more than half of the bio media from an emperor 500 hob from my 75gal. And I've also rinsed the other half of the bio media into the new tank since. It's also had 4oz of bacteria in a bottle upon first startup. The original fish I put in died due to ammonia spike but after that I used 6 minnows for two weeks before adding fish. Currently it houses 1 largemouth bass at 14 inches long and 9 minnows my current readings
Are ammonia. .25
Nitrate. 10
Nitrite. 0
Ppm. 20ish
Ph. 6.5
I have never had a nitrite reading show up in this tank..... is this normal? Also with a low nitrate reading should I be adding small doses of prime to detoxify ammonia until the nitrates show up a little stronger?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scottnbrittany85 said:
Tank has been up and running for about a month, it's a 235 gallon it was seeded with more than half of the bio media from an emperor 500 hob from my 75gal. And I've also rinsed the other half of the bio media into the new tank since. It's also had 4oz of bacteria in a bottle upon first startup. The original fish I put in died due to ammonia spike but after that I used 6 minnows for two weeks before adding fish. Currently it houses 1 largemouth bass at 14 inches long and 9 minnows my current readings
Are ammonia. .25
Nitrate. 10
Nitrite. 0
Ppm. 20ish
Ph. 6.5
I have never had a nitrite reading show up in this tank..... is this normal? Also with a low nitrate reading should I be adding small doses of prime to detoxify ammonia until the nitrates show up a little stronger?
Bottled bacteria sometimes has enough nitrobacter in it to oxidize low/moderate levels of nitrites so it's not unusual to see no nitrites when using it. What test kit are you using?
What's "Ppm-20ish ?

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Momgoose56 said:
Bottled bacteria sometimes has enough nitrobacter in it to oxidize low/moderate levels of nitrites so it's not unusual to see no nitrites when using it. What test kit are you using?
What's "Ppm-20ish ?
Using tetra strips and api for ammonia, ppm 20ish is kh reading between colors

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom