New Tank cycling, Tss

Hadedc

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I’ve been at 4PPM for over a week and have 0 Nitrites. Is this normal? I bought Tetra Safe Start to try and speed up the process but I added ammonia to my tank to get the cycle started. Is it even worth it to add that or just keep the slow cycle going and wait for the nirtrates.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’ll go, sometimes it just takes awhile. Especially in the beginning. My water didn’t do anything for almost a week during my cycle as well.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hadedc said:
Hello,

I’ve been at 4PPM for over a week and have 0 Nitrites. Is this normal? I bought Tetra Safe Start to try and speed up the process but I added ammonia to my tank to get the cycle started. Is it even worth it to add that or just keep the slow cycle going and wait for the nirtrates.
What type of filter and bio media are you using?

I assume you’re doing a fishless cycle?

OP
Hadedc

Hadedc

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dunk2 said:
What type of filter and bio media are you using?

I assume you’re doing a fishless cycle?
indeed fishless cycle with a Penguin 200 filter

OP
Hadedc

Hadedc

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did a 25% water change because my Ammonia was stuck at 4ppm for 2 weeks with no Nitrites. Added Tetra Safe Start, how long does the cycle usually take with this? When can I add fish?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A cycle can take up to two months. Two weeks is the quickest.

cmid21

Reaction score
IF you just did a water change then added safestart, you might kill all the bacteria if you put in a conditioner. You should wait at least 24 hours after adding a conditioner (ie Prime; Any type, whether a chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up ammonia or removes ammonia) to add TSS. In addition, you should not add a conditioner etc. until at least 7 days after using safestart.
The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the food the bacteria require to live

*Additionally, it took me around 25 days to start seeing Nitrite readings. So just be patient, the bacteria should be forming.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use TSS+ (Plus, not just TSS). As cmid21 said, you should wait at least 24hrs after a water change before dosing TSS+. You also need to shake TSS+ (pretty much any BB in a bottle) really violently for better results.

You can add fish within 24-48 hrs after you dose the tank with TSS+. Stock lightly and don't test or change the water for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, do a 25% w/c and a week after, you can change as much as you want.

There are more nuances to cycling a tank with TSS+ but this is the basics to get you going.

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
With TSS I'd expect the cycle to finish under a month.

Fish can be safely added after ammonia and nitrite stay at zero for at least 48 hours and nitrate has accumulated.
Ammonia won’t be at zero when using Safestart

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's been a while but I believe 25ml per 10 gallon is the recommended dose. The BB in TSS+ will convert ammonia within 24hrs which is why you want to add fish within 24-48h so the BB doesn't die off.

I can't stress enough that you need to shake the bottle like it owes you money. Then shake some more.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If ammonia is at 4ppm, a 25% WC would have reduced it to only 3ppm in theory.

I suggest larger and more frequent WC's.

Beneficial bacteria lives in the substrate and filter media, not the water column.

What is tank size? I suggest to consider adding a sponge filter. They are great at colonizing beneficial bacteria.

OP
Hadedc

Hadedc

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long after I add Tetra Safe Start can I add water?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To use SafeStart you are supposed to do the following:
1) Fill Tank with dechlorinated water
2) Let tank run for a minimum of 24 hours (very important, using TSS within 24 hours of using a dechlorinator can cause it to fail)
3) Add entire, well shaken, appropriate size bottle of TSS to the tank (don't worry if bottle will treat larger tank than you have, you cannot overdose)
4) Add some fish within 2 hours (I usually add then at the same time, in fact I usually put the fish in and as soon as they are in the tank, pour the bottle of TSS in)
5) Do nothing for the next 14 days. No water changes, no adding water, no adding chemical, just lightly feed fish
6) On day 14 test and if all worked properly, congrats...you're cycled

Best of luck!

OP
Hadedc

Hadedc

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How do you add water to a tank that has Tetra Safe Start? It says not to add water that needs de but my tank evaporated water quickly. What should I do?

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just add a little dechlorinator and some bb so the new water I'm adding. If my tank is cycled already I just at the dechlorinator.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Hadedc said:
How do you add water to a tank that has Tetra Safe Start? It says not to add water that needs de but my tank evaporated water quickly. What should I do?
I think it says not to do water changes. It is said that some water conditioners can affect the TSS so what I would do is put your top off water in a container large enough to hold a couple of top offs and add your conditioner to it. Let it set for 24 hours and use it to do your top offs.

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
I think it says not to do water changes. It is said that some water conditioners can affect the TSS so what I would do is put your top off water in a container large enough to hold a couple of top offs and add your conditioner to it. Let it set for 24 hours and use it to do your top offs.
Yes that's what I do. I have several milk gallon jugs with prepared water ready to go for top offs. While my tanks were cycling I had no issues doing the same.

New Threads