New tank cycled with safestart has ammonia! HELP Help

1. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone, I said this morning this is day 13 for my 30 gal tank being cycled with safestart. I didnt check the readings until now. They are as follows: ammonia .25 nitrites 0 nitrates 5. I am scared that it is day 13 and i have ammonia in this tank! What do i do? Water change immediately? How much? Do i use a standard water conditioner or prime? I know if i use prime it will kill safestart. Do i do waterchange and add more safestart? I am so upset and scared! Please anyone that can help me. It is 2 small parrots in the tank that are acting like they are spawning.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like your tank is almost cycled! As TSS states it can take 14 days, I'd still wait another day or two before doing anything. TSS protects fish from the waste and is evident with your parrots' behavior. Spawning in a cycling tank!!

But once you are ready to do a water change, I would only lift debris off the gravel and not actually disturb it. As your waste levels are very low, I would start with a 25% water change. New water can be treated with Prime or any other water conditioner of choice. Prime at this point will not affect the bacteria from TSS.

Good luck with your parrots.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Dena beat me to it :) Let the TSS finish its job.

4. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thanks Catsma, I am just a little confused though. Why would it be showing ammonia and no nitites and 5 nitrates? And when i do the wc, would it be best to use prime? want to do whats best. And thank you so so much for the quick response!! I am just about to climb the walls here!!! lol

Thanks Akari Also for responding so quickly!!!!! It really means alot to have someone out there who cares!!!!

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You're welcome :)

Also, if you haven't done a water change yet, give it another couple days to finish up.

6. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thanks Akari! No i hav'nt done a wc yet. I will wait. Sunday night will actually be 14 days. My parrots are acting like they are spawning. I believe it is the male doing this shaky dance under the cave. Is this normal??? And i have noticed faint spots on the top dorsal fin. Is this normal also?? It is scaring me.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't anything about BP except how derpy they look, sorry.

8. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thats ok Akari, I just emailed ken. Maybe i will hear from him soon. Thanks anyway! I know i thought i would never love these parrots!! i have reall gotten to love them so much though!! lol

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Okay, don't panic.

Hopefully your using a liquid test kit and not strips to test, since strips are notorious for bad readings.

Does your tap water contain any nitrates? If not then the SafeStart must have converted some ammonia into nitrites and some nitrites into nitrates, and you would be well on your way.

You need to give SafeStart 14 days, but I believe Tetra claims it can take up to 21 days. What is your tank's ph. At a ph lower than 7 it can take longer to cycle.

After 14 days, only having an ammonia reading of .25ppm tells me something is working. If not I would expect ammonia to be much higher at this point.

10. RTBS Member Member

Yeah I agree .25 is harmful but not bad at all... I would wait two days and then do a PWC... Don't disturb gravel... All the advice is here... Goodluck...

11. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone! You have made me feel alot better! I feel i can breath again! lol I am using API master test kit and my ph in new tank is 8. This is a new deep well i am using and it does'nt have any nitrates. My old swallow well had 5 nitrates. So hopefully everything will turn out good in the end. Again, thanks so much everyone! I dont know what i would have done without you!!

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Are the spots on your parrots black? If so they are totally normal. My parrots get them every now and then. They come and go with no real reason why or why not. At first I thought it was related to water spikes, but they come when my parameters are perfect as well.