New tank cracked frame

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Got the tank from my neighbor finally. The plastic frame that is at the top and bottom, i guess it would be the "trim" is cracked in the center bar that supports the center weight of the tank. Its not the crack so much that bothers me as it is questioning the structural integrity of the tank. It "bows" where the plastic is broken away, if i press the side of the glass i can connect the pieces again. Its not a huge bow and there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

What is the next step here? Is it ok or should i make like a 2x1 trim to replace it? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. A

Angelo0719 New Member Member

You should check with your LFS to see if they have a new frame to fit your tank. If not maybe they can order you one with your dimensions. I believe this would be the best and safest way.

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Thanks, i could probably order online if i could measure it. Neighbor says its a 55 gallon. It appears to be 4 ft by 1 ft but I'm just eye balling it. What is the name of this part? I looked for aquarium frame on Amazon but didn't get the results I'm looking for.

4. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Well so my tank was build in 1986!!!! I think i need to take the whole thing apart and rebuild it. Idk. My neighbor kept a bass in it for 2 years with no problems but im not trying to have 55 gallons of fish water on my carpet.

Actually i found a very detailed tutorial on how to reseal old tanks.

6. A

Angelo0719 New Member Member

7. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

You can scrap the tank and then re attach the glass with silicon. There is also a dollar per gallon sale at Petco till July 17 so of you have 60 you can buy a brand new 55 gallon

8. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I'm going to reseal the tank and buy a bracing rim for the top. Ill need that 60 to buy biomedia and filter floss, along with the master kit i didn't get last week and some sand.

After another examination it was actually made in 96 and not 86. Should i rebuild the tank or just reseal it? There are minor scratches and no cracks. I just want to get it up and running! Some people may remember me talking about it for the last few weeks, im rehoming my 30 gallon stock to here.[​IMG]

9. S

im not sure about having a cat in a empty tank due to the bacteria they can carry on their feet from the litter box, I would reframe it and leave the seals on the corners alone repairing it seems to be $15+shipping which ends up being $30 on one site not sure if the others will be the same. You would also have to get the silicone if you dont have any.

Since the dollar per gallon sale is going on at petco is going on right now if you live near one you can pick one up for 55 plus tax if you go that route

10. martini4

martini4 Valued Member Member

You may need to rehome the cat, that tank is not nearly big enough for it! Lol sorry, couldn't resist.

11. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I plan to clean it again before i fill it.

I have silicone, but most of the inside looks like this[​IMG]

Im just taking the age of the tank (24 years) into consideration.

I really want to rehome the cat sometimes. She was born from a barn cat and she is definitely a hunter. She hunts socks and happy meal barbies. But she also chews up my airlines almost daily!

12. martini4

I just recently siliconed a 55 gallon that had been sitting in the barn for 15 years. My first time and it was pretty easy. No leaks! I also had a center support that was broken so I used an exhaust hanger from the auto parts store to act as a center support. Prevents it from bowing, fits perfectly but doesn't look the prettiest.

13. S

oh those corners are pretty bad I would end up redoing them

14. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Just reseal?

15. S

Yea resealing but ive never personally done it so others here may be better to answer on that. I think it would be a fun project to do :)

16. martini4

You'll have to scrape out the old silicone with a razor blade, then clean it with alcohol, and reseal it with new silicone. I did a search on YouTube when I did mine. Make sure to use masking tape, I forgot that part when I did it lol

17. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I know how to do it :) simply remove the visible silicone and reapply.

I might still get a new one if i make the sale in time.

18. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Yea I think that warranty is expired.

19. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I've used clear epoxy in past with out issue to repair cracked or broken tank frames :)

20. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

You're saying i can carefully repair the existing frame? Since its right where the brace meets the rim