new tank - compatible fish Question

1. gokaran

gokaran Valued Member Member

Hi all
    First I would like to thank fishlore for a great webite in helpfull forum
    the early mistakes is great.

I have just setup my 100l tank. done the nitrogen cycle. temp is at 26C

I have just returned from the LFS and purchased 2 x rosy koi angels (https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Angelfish.htm)

Now I want to have some really colourful fish in my tank. What colourful fish can I keep baring in mind I've spent some money on the 2 x Rosy Koi angels.

I have read that there are certain cold water fish that can be kept in a heated that. My LFS told me not to( I dont believe them)

Please help!!!
    I really want colourful fish(for me little daughter) but not to sure about mixing species and comptible temperatures

Regard
    Gokaran

2. HitchHiker

HitchHiker Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forum. I am too am looking at stocking options, and would prefer to have some colorful fish. These are two resources that I have found very helpful so far:

An article of the 10 most colorful freshwater fish.

AqAdvisor.com

The first has given me a lot of great ideas, both for my current tank and also for possible future tanks. The second will help to keep you from over stocking your tank, possible behavior issues, and pH and water temp compatibility.

Good luck and I look forward to see pictures of your new tank.

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore, gokaran. :)
    what method did you use to cycle your tank?
    If you don't already have one, a good liquid test kit is necessary - API master test kit is a really good one if they have it available at your shop. :)

I'm not familiar with the fish you bought, so I can't help with stocking. I'd love to see photos, though.

4. OP
    OP
    gokaran

Thank you the for welcome
    HH - Thanks for the great site
    looks like the angels were nit the best choise to start with

Meenu

Here is the link to the pic of the fish
    https://www.fishlore.com/gifs/angelfish.gif
    cycling i used first aqua safe the tetra safe and 1 day and let it run for 1 day and added some plants then gave it 4 days before introducing fish

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!

great looking angels!!!

do you have a test kit? because letting safestart run for 4 days without fish, probably killed the bacteria off as there wasnt an ammonia source to feed it :(
    keep a very close eye on things...be ready to do daily water changes with prime ....

with the size of tank you have, 2 angels are going to take up most of that space....maybe add a few guppies if you watch the water closely...add some bottom dwellers might be your best bet....cories or ottos once the tank cycles, would loook great!....30gal

6. OP
    OP
    gokaran

thanks shawnee

what guppies do u suggest bearing in mind i want colourful

What are corries or ottos?

7. Meenu

Fancy guppies come in a variety of colors. Cories are corydora catfish, and otos are otocinclus catfish.

I am concerned your tank may not be cycled. I would suggest not adding any more fish until you've tested the water to make sure the nitrogen cycle has completed. You'll need to know the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with meenu...do not add anything until you can get a proper test kit..I do not think your safestart will be as effective as I posted in my thread...

9. OP
    OP
    gokaran

ok
    Ill will do some tests in week

Asumming all ok
    This is my plan according to what was advised from aqadvisor.com
    2 x angel (got it already)
    After testing and con firming all levels are good
    3 x swordtail
    2 x betta
    5 x gardnerikill's

btw tank size = 92cm x 33cm x 38cm
    heater set to 26C
    filter = cascade 600

10. Meenu

I don't think bettas are a good idea for a community tank. aqadvisor is a great website, and I use it often myself, but I don't agree with all of its recommendations, and if it says you can have 2 bettas in that tank, I would disagree with it.

edit: With the measurements you provided, your tank is 30.4 gallons
    My other concern is that a 15 inch tall tank will be too short for angels.

11. OP
    OP
    gokaran

ok
    how about no betta's
    and 4 bottom feeders instead

what height is best for angel's?

what should I look for in terms of fish health/behaviour considering we are not sure about the nitrogen cycle in my tank?
    btw, I got the angels this morning and currently they and hovering around the heater which is next to the filter
    could it mean that the heater is not sufficient ofr the tank size?
    should i et a 2nd heater placed at the opposite end of the tank?

12. Meenu

I wanted some angels for my tank, which is also long rather than tall. I think you need 17 inches minimum height for them. As they grow, if the tank isn't tall enough, I think it may stunt their growth or bend their fins - but wait for someone else with more knowledge to address this.

Do you have a thermometer for your tank? If not, see if your store sells them. They are pretty inexpensive.

Don't add any new fish until we know about the cycle issue, but I think 3 corydoras sounds great, if your store has them. I have 6 in my tank (36in x 12 x 16 = 30g), and they are very cute. They aren't cleaners, though they do eat leftover food - for that, you want 4 otos, I think.

13. OP
    OP
    gokaran

man u lot are great!!!

i love the advise
    being an engineer, i sometimes overplan and over think things

Gonna get my water tested at my LFS and get thermometer( i am tempted to use the one we use to check my daugthers bath water, but my wife will eveict me)
    chat tomorrow
    thanks once again - hopefully my angels will be there tomorrow morning

14. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

hi there gokaran!

if you could post the dimensions of your tank that would be helpful, as others have mentioned angels do need more vertical space than most fish, so generally they are better suited to taller tanks.

another thing to watch out for is any aggression between your two angels. angelfish are cichlids, which means that they generally don't get along very well unless they pair off. you may start to see them fighting, in which case your hopes of the two that you have being a pair could be slim. now if they spend a lot of time together, guard one part of the tank together, or if they start spawning then you've got yourself a pair and you probably don't need to worry about aggression between the two of them, but it could become a problem for other fish in the tank. which is why inconspicuous bottom dwellers are a good choice with angels, either a small type of pleco (maybe a clown) or some otos would be a great addition. it's unlikely that the angels would bother them.

like others have recommended, i would definitely pick up the API freshwater master test kit, it has liquid tests that come with test tubes that are much more accurate than the paper strips (which is probably what the LFS uses). also, getting your water tested by an LFS can be hit or miss, if you see them using the liquid tests and they give you exact readings then you may be alright, but be wary if they just tell you that your water is "good"

15. Meenu

he's given the dimensions: 92cm x 33cm x 38cm
    when i calculated it, it came out to 30g, 15 in tall

16. agabr123

lol, didnt see that :;smack thanks!

17. y

yhbae Valued Member Member

I was told by someone who kept bettas for years that male bettas must be kept alone but females can be kept in groups. Would this be correct or not?

18. OP
    OP
    gokaran

ok
    Seems like i got a pair
    They seem to be sticking together
    But im really concerned as they are not moving around mush and seem to have confined themselves to 1 corner next to the filter

19. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Do they seem to be eating off of the corner?
    I have 2 angels in my and im going to pick 5 up from the LFS tomorrow for the 34G :) hoping to get atleast one pair out of the 5 :)

20. agabr123

that's lucky that you have a pair :) if they're still huddling by the corner then i'd suggest that you go ahead and do a water change using prime or another good water conditioner (prime is what i use) as there is a good chance that there is some ammonia in your tank which isn't healthy for your fish, a water change with some fresh water should help them out. also a thermometer would help to see what temperature your tank is at

it's possible to keep female bettas together in the same tank, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you get sisters from a breeder that have never been separated, and you'd also have to have more than 3 to prevent aggression. i wouldn't recommend them for this tank in particular.