New tank companions for my guppy

emilia

Reaction score
Despite all efforts my female guppy died while in a 2 gallon tank with another (young male) guppy. I now have a new 10 gallon tank already cycling in which I intend to put my surviving guppy. What other fish and how many (for the size of my tank) would be compatible with my guppy? I quite like gyppies, platies, zebra danios and neon tetras (but I only hear disaster stories about those!). Is a small catfish to clean up the bottom advisable in any case? Since I cannot add any fish until the tank is cycled and even then not all at once, how many at a time, how far apart and in what order can I put in new tank mates for my guppy? I appreciate all advice!

jfcc

Reaction score
Re: Sick or lazy guppy? Need quick help, please.

Sounds like your guppy may be suffering from nitrite poisoning. I am going thru a similar issue with my platties. My local fish shop suggested doing a 10% water change every day for 5 days and this brought the nitires down from .5 to 0. I have found that fish of the same species seem to react differently to the nitrites, Some seem to be unaffected, even giving birth, while some others really suffer, and even lost one. Once you have the nitrites down hopefully your fish should be OK, but it may take some time for her to recover, but she should come good in a week or two.

Hope this helps!!

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Emilia, having 2 guppies in a 2 gallon tank is too crowded.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

In order for fish to be healthy, ammonia and nitrite MUST equal zero. Even smallest amounts of ammonia or nitrite present in the water can make your fish very sick or kill them. If you've had ANY ammonia or nitrite in your water while you had the fish, your fish is sick from ammonia or nitrite poisoning. You've said your readings were low. Can you list the numbers?

not4you

Reaction score

Not to pile it on but your female guppy might just be exhausted too. It's best to keep guppies in a harem, 1 male with a group of females (normally 2-3). Of course before adding anymore females you should look into a bigger tank for what you have.

lokky.funky

Reaction score
yes.. what not4you said is correct.. the female would have exhausted bcoz of the male... It is better to keep male female in a 1:3 ratio

New Threads