New Tank Brown Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Tanko, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Tanko

TankoNew MemberMember

Hi, I've had a new 20 gallon high tank set up for about a month now.
    I cycled using the fish in method and some dirty media from a friend, and have been doing weekly 25% water changes ever since my ammonia and nitrite read 0 and nitrate ~5-10 ppm.
    I have half a dozen live plants and have been dosing seachem flourish once a week. Lights are on about 10 hours a day (don't have a timer yet, but will get one if this timing is the problem). Current stock is five zebra danios and one nerite snail.

My problem is something I can't really find a straight answer for online. After about two weeks, I started to see the diatom bloom that new tanks go through, and am conflicted as to what I should do. I really want to get rid of it because it's extremely displeasing to look at and I'm afraid it's affecting my plants. As of now, all I'm doing is letting the snail go to work, rubbing it off of the plants every few days with my fingers, and occasionally wiping down the particularly bad areas.

Is there something else I should be doing, or is just a waiting game here on out? I can provide pictures of the setup if that would help.
    Thanks in advance

2. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

If you have a syphon for water changes rub it off while syphoning it out at the same time. If you rub it off and leave it to float to filters and settle in the tank it leaves everything needed in the water to continue the bloom.

3. OP
    OP
    Tanko

TankoNew MemberMember

Oh, that's a good idea. Will definitely start doing that.

4. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Its common in new tanks amd should go away as your tank becomes established